Do I Need to Provide My Identity Details to Tenants to Establish Trust?

I am currently navigating a tricky situation with a potential tenant and would appreciate some guidance. The tenant has been working in the UK for two years and claims to earn 55 times the required rent. Initially, they were unwilling to provide six months’ bank statements for verification, citing privacy concerns, but they were open to providing six months’ payslips.

After initially rejecting their application due to the lack of bank statements and payslips, they reached out again two weeks later. This time, they agreed to my terms, so I arranged a viewing. At the viewing, not only did the husband and wife—who intend to move in—attend, but they also brought their cousins, resulting in a group of four. We had an extensive conversation lasting nearly an hour.

The day after the viewing, the husband contacted me with numerous questions and requested my personal identity details. He was concerned about the Anglicised name on my Gmail account, which I use for simplicity, and requested my official email address for DocuSign purposes. I explained that entrusting them with my property, valued at almost a quarter of a million pounds, requires mutual trust and suggested that if he feels suspicious, perhaps they should consider other options.

Despite these challenges, they did submit the required bank statements and payslips. However, I still feel uneasy about the situation. I mentioned to him that if there is any discomfort or distrust from his side, it would be best not to proceed. He seemed comfortable moving forward with a third-party letting agent, although he was not interested in the higher costs associated with that option.

With almost 15 years of experience renting out properties, this is a new challenge for me. I am unsure how to proceed and would really value any advice on whether to continue with these tenants or not.

Trust your gut
Walk away
From what I’ve read they are projecting their shortcomings onto you and manipulating you
They breached your trust by not doing what you asked

It does not take two weeks to provide payslips and statements
Why are there now four?
Double the people double the wear and tear
Are you charging extra ?
If not you should be
Are they really cousins or is this an HMO
If you earn 55 times the rent you should buy a house !!

2 Likes

totally agree 55 times the rent . Give us a break . Buy a place. Cousins ? Really. You are uneasy? Trust your gut and do not let to them.

1 Like

I rejected the initial application because they refused to provide the required bank statements. They contacted me again two weeks later and, albeit reluctantly, agreed to provide the necessary documents.

The viewing included four people because the couple who plans to move in brought their cousins along for support. The cousins live nearby and were just there to help them make a decision.

While it may seem logical for someone earning 55 times the rent to buy a house, in this area near London, that income level might not be sufficient for a house deposit, among other financial requirements. For example, if you earn £50,000 and the rent is £1,100, it doesn’t necessarily mean you’re in a position to buy.

While it may seem logical for someone earning 55 times the rent to buy a house, in this area near London, that income level might not be sufficient for a house deposit, among other financial requirements. For example, if you earn £50,000 and the rent is £1,100, it doesn’t necessarily mean you’re in a position to buy.

Suranjith,
Close down the conversation and walk away from these potential tenants!

2 Likes

Like the others said walk away.
We are all singing from the same hymn sheet.
If they went to an estate agent they would have to provide documents so why are they reluctant with yourself ?

You are not required to defend them .
Your business therefore your terms and conditions!

They are making you justify themselves to you and you have. They flipped the narrative.
Psychologically, that’s highly manipulative behaviour. It’s the trait of a cluster B personality disorder .

If you sat an entrance exam for an academic institution you would answer the question not what you think the question should be .
Your interview process is an entrance exam.
Reluctancy is a fail .

Walk away and chalk it up to a learning experience. Find another tenant.

2 Likes

yeah… cos they spend £60,000 a year!

If the rent is monthly then income required is also calculated monthly
I assume they earn about £3.5 k per month after taxes so they don’t earn 50 times the rent