Eviction without notice

My son gave 2 months notice on a flat he rented through yourselves. The landlord asked if he could leave sooner as he had friends who would take over tenancy, my son declined as he had still to find somewhere. A week last Monday my son left for work as normal and at 17.56 he received an email from his landlord, explaining that all his belongings had been removed from the flat and put into storage in Enfield. 2 bags containing my son’s passport, credit card and insulin had been put in a hotel roo
m at a Premier Inn, also in Enfield. The flat was now occupied by said friends of landlord. Due to my son not having his insulin, he became incredibly unwell and was admitted to hospital with ketoacidosis and due to stress he was also treated for a suspected heart attack. We are now a week on, my son is still unwell and is homeless (his family live 200 miles away), he still doesn’t have any of his belongings, some of which I believe are still in flat, being used by new tennants.
What can you do? Surely Open Rent have a duty of care to people who put their trust in landlords you have vetted.

This is not openrents fault This is a bad landlord Openrent cannot be responsible for tenants or landlords. They are a machine to bring both together See a solicitor immediately and explain the situation

2 Likes

Nothing to do with open rent, as Colin says it’s just an advertising platform. 100% landlord.

Really bad what landlord has done.

2 Likes

Neither tenant nor landlord are vetted by open rent.

1 Like

That is absolutely terrible but OpenRent are not responsible. Speak to Shelter ASAP.

1 Like

Call the police and dont accept any nonsense from them about it bejng a civil matter. Illegal eviction is also a criminal matter. Also contact the local authority about prosecuting the landlord and speak to a solicitor about suing the landlord for compensation under civil law. Do it now!

2 Likes

What are the details? Did others accept and leave , ast ?

That is illegal eviction, and a criminal offence. It is also trespass and sounds like theft. Call the police and insist they act. Call the local council’s housing dept. and insist they prosecute.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.