My tenant lost her job due to Covid and is now on universal credit

Thank you, I will give that a go.

Well there is a nice vehicle sitting on the drive and his credit score was OK at the time of checking. Who knows if he owns the car though and what has happened since credit checking.

I have had a look at applying for rent to be paid to me directly but I need his DOB (which I don’t have) and his permission. The agent might have his DOB still, I will ask tomorrow. I can’t see me getting permission as he is not communicating - he has been asked directly if he has applied for any help and offered assistance in applying for that help but no response. Has anyone managed to get it paid directly without a DOB or permission?

Hi.
Yes you need the DOB which the agent should have.
I don’t think you need his permission though. You just fill in the online form and as he is behind with his rent by at least three months that should be enough for them to hopefully grant you a direct payment - if he is on UC of course.
If he isn’t then I don’t know if they contact you to say or if they just bother to reply.
I did fill in the form for our tenants to have it paid direct, but think they may be off it now.
Have UC told you you need his permission to continue?
Do you or the agent know what his job was? I know he could have changed it since becoming your tenant so maybe obsolete, but just wondering if it was something he would be working from home with or an area whereby he may be receiving furlough?

https://directpayment.universal-credit.service.gov.uk/

Don’t know if I’ve done this right!

Just filled in the form again for our tenant to check it registered.
I have the DoB of ours but at the end of the form it did say it would let the LL know if it was successful.

Now agents are back at work, perhaps you could request the agent knocks on his door?

As regards the anti-social behaviour you could try the Environmental Health.

Send him his Eviction Notice too. As far as I am aware you can still send them you just have to give three months notice instead of two.
At least you will get the ball rolling.

Thank you Mr T for your help. Agent has knocked, he wasn’t there but phoned later with a string of abuse but nothing useful or constructive. His emails said he isn’t getting any employment. At the start I was prepared to offer him a reduced rent for six months but as he wouldn’t communicate it wasn’t made. He won’t be getting that offer now. Going to start the ball rolling on the rest today.

Isn’t it terrible.
If you can get his DOB and try the online form filled in the direct payment as there definitely wasn’t anything asking me for permission yesterday.
As long as a tenant is two months behind with rent the landlord can apply.
Maybe if there is no reason for wanting a direct payment then the LL needs permission?
He must be living off something but who knows.
Still worth a try. Let us know how you get on.
Having troubles with ours too. We want out as the stress is getting to me.

It just occurred to me, did you mean the agent said they would need the tenants permission to hand out his DOB to you?

Just another thought!

There is a phone number too for landlords to apply for direct payment. If you don’t have his DOB perhaps call them and they can bypass the system.

From what you have said, this is the only way you may possibly get anything, is him being on UC and you getting an APA.

Thanks, no agent didn’t tell me that it was on one of the government sites. Someone has suggested I do a search on his three year old car to see if it’s on finance. I think I will wait until that might become relevant. I will give that number a call and see what they say, thank you. I have some spare time later, if it’s like HMRC I might need a while :slight_smile:

If you now have his DOB do it online as it’s a very short form and there definitely is NOT anywhere you need his permission.

Don’t imagine there is on subsequent forms if you have a reason, which you do, of rent arrears.

The idea of paying the LL directly is to keep people in their homes by making sure the LL gets paid.

The link I sent will take you straight to the form. It did work, yay!

Now you have his DOB the form is literally five minutes.

The phone number was the UC so yes it would be a long wait I should imagine.

Just to let you know I have had response from UC.
Applied for direct payment and have got it.
No permission from tenant needed.
Good luck

2 Likes

I have just been told he’s not claming UC.

Oh no. Was really hopeful for a break through for you there.
Wonder what he’s living on if he’s not working. Do you know what his job is/was?
Just wondering if it’s office work if he’s working at home or if it’s an area whereby he would have been furloughed.
Will you start eviction process do you think?

I have heard some more news about him today. We are starting eviction proceedings today. Before anyone feels sorry for him he has got money - I can’t elaborate further as on a public board but he is playing the system and we won’t have any chance of getting anything back.

Can only feel for you. Just hope he goes and doesn’t do too much more damage.
Was he okay before all this Covid business?
The stress is all consuming when in such a situation.