Tenant in Situ How to proceed

A rolling tenancy agreement is generally better for the landlord, especially with an unknown tenant.

Thanks for your through explanation, but wouldn’t the deposit be easier if the tenant just end the old AST with the agent they get their deposit back and I ask them to put new deposit for my new AST that I created?

In general, I wouldn’t depend on the kindness of any stranger, even friends for that matter, to hand you over a deposit after they have moved in and living in your property. There is a reason deposits are required before a tenant moves into a property. A deposit is collateral or leverage - never hand back collateral to any person you want something from. I would simply contact the letting agent who are currently holding it, for the deposit.

By the way, there is no requirement to actively ‘end the old AST’. It is automatically ended by default when you write up and the tenants sign the new AST.

Thanks for your advice, so currently the AST saying Notice takes 2 months and contract is finishing in July 22 and the buying process is ready to exchange and complete.

So given the current case, are you saying I simply contact the tenant and write up a new contract as if it is just a new tenant like anyone else and whatever happens to the current/old AST will be all history once the buying process is completed and my AST will comes into effect without doing anything else?

Lastly, for contacting the sales agent ( also the letting agent) could I ask how do I ensure I get the deposit back and increase deposit inline with my new increased rent tied to the market rental price?

Any suggestion helps as it is close to critical moment i guess :slight_smile: