What if the tenants don't move out?

Sorry to hear of your situation, I do hope that your tenants leave at the appointed time (at least it is Poland they are moving to, rather than Ukraine, and it is to their own property)

It’s a tricky one whether to talk to your new tenants- as presumably you don’t want to worry them unnecessarily, but it could be worth asking if they might be prepared to move in a week later (and save themselves paying a weeks rent in two places at once)

You could say that was to prepare the flat, if you didn’t want to worry them just yet, and then come clean if it becomes clear there is a problem, but at least they won’t turn up to an occupied flat.

I wouldn’t tell the departing tenants that there is an extra week in hand, instead I would use it as breathing space, and to fix anything that needs it.

(Personally I never sign the next lease until I have looked over the vacated flat, but I thought some people above were a bit unkind to you)

1 Like

Hi Landlady, I too do not leave huge void periods. A few days at most. I am glad your tenants seem to have sorted themselves a new property and hope it works out for you. I have always been on very good terms with my tenants and like yourself know if the property needs repairs etc, I’ve never yet had a problem and agree with Tracey 9 it is a very difficult situation with gas electricity and community charges, plus the risks attached to empty properties and insurance companies charge a huge premium for any empty property periods. For me it is a small unavoidable risk forced on me by the “legal regulations”. All the best.

2 Likes

I’ve met a landlord who would leave short void periods and advertise as soon as the previous tenants give notice, but then only sign the new tenancy agreement on the day of move-in. This is bad for the new tenants (no security whatsoever) but protects the landlord.

1 Like

I usually have the places vacated by 0800 and hand keys to new tenant by 1600 same day unless more major work is required. It maximizes your revenue. Ive done it hundreds of times. When tenants give notice they mostly go. I have had situations where tenants have been given notice and that gets s bit more tricky but they normally say they are going to go or they dont intend to
In this case tell the new tenants asap that the property wont be available and why and most will accept it. Going legal will just cost a fortune and achieve little

1 Like