Why is so difficult to find a landlord who accept DSS?

Not to tar everyone with the same brush but every DSS tenant i have had has wrecked the property or left it in a state of repair where its cost over £1k to decorate and get it right again for the next tenant. After the 8th time it happened I no longer with to have DSS tenants

That’s my reason why

3 Likes

You can’t tar everyone with the same brush! I get housing benefit due to a serious health issue 3 years ago which put me out of work. I haven’t paid my rent in arrears. I just made sure I had enough money put by to give to my landlady during the time they sorted it out. I understand not everyone has that amount of money. But still, maybe make sure they can cover it until it comes through instead of outright saying “we’re a pain”.
My landlady has never had an issue. The only thing that’s had to be done was change the payment date I pay the rent.
A Solicitor moved in to a rental property 4 doors down from me… he trashed the place! He was there 2 months, then was kicked out. Should we now say something about Solicitors?

4 Likes

Sorry this is late - but the fact that you have paid rent on time for five years with the help of your partner is not the same as saying you will be able to pay in the future. I hope you got something sorted out, but your financial position is not that same. That being said many landlords take a different view to someone working with HB top-up compared to someone who is solely reliant on HB - so I would contact LL who say “no DSS” and ask if they would consider a working tenant with HB topup.