I just wanted some advice as I have been living at my current property for the last 2 years on two years tenancy agreement which is expiring on 10th September and I understand after AST expired it will automatically change to Monthly rollover contract/periodic tenancy.
Today 28th August 2020 I received a renewal Tenancy proposed email from open rent with increase rent for 12 months with 4 months break clause. It was shocking for me neither the landlord nor Open rent serves Notice of Rent Increase.
My questions are
- How much notice should the landlord have to produce to the tenant for Rent Increase?
- Can I refuse to increase rent and serve him one-month notice on 10th September or shall I send notice today which will be one-month 10 days’ notice
Why I thinking one month Notice because it says in AST
" 11.2 If the tenancy has lapsed into a periodic tenancy it may be terminated by:
- the Landlord serving the Tenant at least two months notice in writing under Section 21(4)(a) of the Housing Act 1988 (as amended) and expiring on the last day of a period of the tenancy.
- the Tenant giving written notice of at least one month and expiring on the last day of a period of the tenancy."
- If I don’t sign a new contract, does my old contract automatically changes Periodic Tenancy after 10th September, and based on this I can give one Month notice and pay agreed rent as per old contract.
- Can he force me to vacate the property on 10th September, if I don’t sign a new contract?
There is no damage is done to the property and all rent paid on time.