Break clause penalty?

I’m about to sign a lease with new tenants - a 12 month AST.
They have just asked if they can have a break clause after 6 months. I am not keen on this as it means finding new tenants & repeating all the necessary paperwork etc.

Is it legal to demand a penalty - say £150- 250?

Would appreciate any advice
Thank you

Most experienced landlords I know would know ever offer new tenants s 6 month contract which would then be allowed to go periodic. You really are binding your hands with anything else.

If tenants want to leave mid-tenancy you will almost certainly let them as its too risky and too much hassle to do otherwise.

2 Likes

Your “penalty” would be illegal and could you say why you think it best to force tenants to stay in your property ?
The standard these days is a fixed term of 6 months then roll onto periodic. Best all round.

1 Like

Thanks for your thoughts David122 and Steve11.

I have always done 12-mth ASTs which then go periodic as I prefer to have stable tenants. Changing every 6 mths entails a lot of extra bureaucracy & time spent on viewings & assessing potential tenants. Many people want 12 mth tenancies or longer, & that is what I offer / advertise. I’m not ‘forcing’ anyone to stay. Incidentally my last tenants stayed 3 years.

Having a 6 month agreement doesn’t mean the tenant changes with that frequency. Mine stay much longer on average and its one of the questions I ask right at the beginning.

1 Like