Choosing the Right Tennant's

So my current tenants are moving out soon and I have had a lot of interest in my house.
I thought I had found the right tenants but am having second thoughts now…

They are two women early 20’s who have recently graduated.
Only one of them has passed this platforms affordability section on the referencing report.
I had asked for one of there parents be a guarantor. But it looks like the parent failed to prove her income ( there was something about her opting out of open banking).

I would be concerned if they got into an argument or one of them lost there jobs they would struggle to pay he mortgage and bills.

Yes there joint income would over it, and I have letters from there employers to prove income.
The good news is they are English…and im sure they would be alot easier to communicate with some of the other prospective tannates I have seen who don’t seem to understand English very well.

I have already spend £60 on the three reference reports. Then they decided to change the Guarantor to the father there is a high probability he will fail to prove income too due to open banking ( or being IT inadept which is more likely)…

Anyway my point really is, is it possible to add something to the AST to state that if the tannates don’t pay the mortgage then the Guarantor will pay the shortfall to mitigate risk to my self?

Cheers

Personally if a tenant needs a guarantor then I wouldn’t want them.

Pursuing a guarantor is hell of a lot of hassle, get the right tenant to begin with.

Guarantor would need to be home owner if going that route.

Are their parents local? One advantage of youngsters is that if the going gets tough and parents are local they can go back home and you won’t be stuck with non payers.

1 Like

It’s a good point Mark I will find out if the parents live local

1 Like

No you cant add that clause, but it would work against you anyway as the guarantor has to cover the full rent if the tenant defaults.

I found this which is fine I am happy to proceed https://help.openrent.co.uk/hc/en-gb/articles/115000710431-What-is-a-guarantor-What-do-they-have-to-do-

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.