End of contract, still have to give notice?

I entirely agree with you John. Most of us are responsible and value good tenants. I believe I put the rogue in quotation marks to imply that it is rare to encounter unreasonable landlords like the one given in the example. Sorry you took offence. I just wish some local authorities did not take a partisan view of people who let property. That way more owners would rent their properties.

2 Likes

Ollie, the irony of most local authorities attitude is stunning, is it not?
First, they get rid of all their social housing stock, leaving Private Rent Sector to handle that demand.
Then, they advice Tenants that are in trouble and legitimately need Social Housing* to first sit it out! Let the Landlord issue notices, take the tenant to court, get eviction orders. Then they ask the poor Tenants TO FURTHER BREAK THE LAW AND COURT ORDER by further sitting it out until the Landlord gets Bailiffs in.
All the time, the Tenants are threatened by the LA, that they will not be recommended for housing if they do not break the Law as instructed.
PS. I have no issues with Tenants that get into trouble and legitimately need Social Housing.

1 Like

My understanding which I have followed before is that the fixed contract means you canā€™t move out in the fixed period nor can the Landlord evict you unless you have broken the terms of the contract.
If you move out before the 12 months you are liable up to the 12 months unless there is a 6 month break clause allowing it which there usually is.

After the fixed term the contract becomes rolling which means you can give notice at any time which should always be a month, for moving on the end of the fixed term you still have to give notice prior by a month. The landlord can only insist on the rent lost from when you moved out to when you gave notice. So if you give notice today the 18th theres two weeks till you move he can only insist on the portion till the 30th. He is entitled to take lost rent from the deposit but he has to make a case for it, make sure you have given notice in writing as arbitration by the deposit scheme may be required.
The other thing to note is you can move out whenever you want but if the correct notice is not given you are liable.
I canā€™t comment on the others responses except that I took a tenant to court for moving out before the fixed element was used and won. I took the person to court mainly because the place was damaged dirty as well and that instead of answering calls to work out a compromise solution they didnā€™t so a court case ensued which included unpaid rent for leaving within the fixed period.

So my advice is to talk to the landlord apologise for the late notice and hope he/she doesnā€™t claim it. One thing to note is that if he/she uses the property, to live in, or gets another tenant in your notice period then you donā€™t have to pay that.

Its not fair on anyone to leave without notice you say,but if thats the only option !! Tenants like you are the reason many landlords are selling up and the long term effects will mean higher rents for all, how do you expect the landlord to find a tenant at the drop of a hat. It takes much time at least a month to find a tenant and in that time the landlord looses money, that is not okay. Society has gone to the dogs, a little respect goes a long way,try and find some.

2 Likes

Hi @Leslie1, it appears you havenā€™t read the full thread here. I have given 30 days notice based on leaving pro rata, this is not the drop of a hat? The majority of landlords here said that would be acceptable and the landlord was being unreasonable, however I was told I had to pay the full month, if thatā€™s the case my only option was to just leave when my contract is up and not payā€¦ or pay Julys rent in current property whilst paying for half of Julys rent in property 2 that Iā€™m moving into, this is not fair in the slightest?

Same can be said for a tenant, how can a tenant be expected to afford paying rent for two properties because the landlord is being unreasonable? By our current landlord being unreasonable weā€™ve had to push the move in date to the end of the month in July so now the other landlord is losing out of money as he has a vacant property for 2.5 weeks, at no fault of the tenant here, this is totally down to the landlords doing. Donā€™t be so quick to judge.

Yes. Its a sorry state of affairs. Local authorities never seem to get the balace right.

1 Like

True. However, direction, leadership and financing from on-high is not good.
I would not mind but it is our and our tenants tax money they are messing with.
lets ALL be careful next time.

1 Like

Local authorities are only interested in keeping the ā€œbuckā€ out of their hands for as long as possible and passing the buck to landlords. So there will NEVER be help for landlords from Local Authorities. They have been given too much power by central govermentā€¦ I always remember many years ago Sefton coucil organised landlord meetings freeā€¦ They wanted to ā€œhelpā€ landlords, it turned out mostly they brought together firms who would offer services to landlords. NO HELP WITH TENANT PROBLEMS. They did not like it when I got the microphone. They dont hold any more of these "helpful " meetings