Ending tenancy - continuing ll obligations

I have invoked my break and served a valid S21 which expired 31st May 24. Tenant still in situ so have applied to court. After the property is fully repaired (£10 k cost to me plus eviction costs!) I will be selling. I wanted to clarify a point - as per clause 9.7 (below) does this mean I have no further obligations to eg renew the gas cert mid August if tenant has not yet been evicted, maintain my specific landlords insurance, deal with maintenance etc as effectively the agreement states

“no further obligations shall be performed under the tenancy”

Or am I misunderstanding the clause.

Effect of Notices to terminate the tenancy
9.7. On the expiry of a notice to terminate the tenancy under clause 9.2 or 9.6 the tenancy shall end and no
further obligations shall be performed under the tenancy save that either party may pursue the other for any
breach of this agreement occurring before the expiry of the notice.

Thanks in advance for your insights.

Firstly I am Not a landlord so forgive me if i staye something that is either wrong or ridiculous
Would the quoted clause not relate to a property that has been correctly vacated
And although you have a tenant in there that SHOULD have left would you not still be somewhat responsible for the basics (again i am not and never have been a ll just merely my thoughts) i await clarification from those in the know

Only a tenants notice ends an assured shorthold tenancy. A landlords notice does not. Its possible that the clause you state relates to a tenants notice or a landlords notice during a period where the tenancy becomes non-assured. However, even in these circumstances, a court would be very unlikely to interpret the phrase “no further obligations to be performed” to include issues of safety or amenity whilst a tenant is still living there.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.