Extortionate rent increase

My landlord has proposed an 11% rent increase from £900 to £1000 should I choose to renew in September.

I completely understand the need to increase rent in line with inflation, but I feel an 11% rise is unfair considering my good tenant record over the past 3+ years. I have always paid on time and rarely raised any maintenance issues.

With this in mind, I am going to see if he will meet me in the middle and counter propose at £950.

Is there a maximum percentage that landlords can increase rent by, or does it depend on the area and rental demand?

Unfortunately there are many tenants wanting a property and if the landlord wants that and as long as it’s inline with market rate there is little you can do, yes try and negotiate but ultimately you will either pay it or go .

1 Like

When mortgage rates are going through roof, £100 a month is not “extortion”

6 Likes

Although RPI is currently down slightly it was recently a double digit figure, so an 11% increase is not totally unreasonable. Has the LL imposed rent increases in previous years? Many LLs haven’t routinely increased the rent on a yearly basis and find themselves now having to make a large incremental rise of this nature.

2 Likes

The first increase was from £850 to £875 in Sept 2021, then he proposed £925 the following year but I fortunately negotiated down to £900.

So fingers crossed he will agree to meet me in the middle again this year.

1 Like

That is not an excessive rent increase. Be glad landlord isn’t selling with mortgage rates as they are.

4 Likes

Most landlords I know in Bristol have put them up at least £100 and I know a few have put them £200 !

2 Likes

No maximum and it does depend on comparative rental levels (i.e. demand)

The letter you have should be a section 13 letter. You can apply to the First Tier Tribunal (Property) to have it assessed as reasonable for the area. Instructions are here:

Outcomes which you can search for your area, plus understanding how the FTT(P) reaches it’s conclusions are here:

Worthwhile checking a few of these to give you an idea of what elements are important (e.g. supplying your own white goods) and can lead to a deduction from the rental levels.

2 Likes

@mark10 Extortionate is a subjective term depending on someone’s circumstances. An extra £100 a month to you may seem small, but to me it’s huge and completely unaffordable. You don’t know my financial situation so have no place making such a comment.

Thank you @EmanNeercs. I will have a look.

Incorrect, Its my opinion that 11% is not an extortionate rate when it comes to rent increase given the current circumstances faced by landlords.

I doubt you have any understanding of landlords situation so you are unable to comment on whats extortionate?!

As for being a “good” tenant, maybe LL has already taken this into account and kept the amount lower, not that its even relevant.

Would you rather landlord sell or evict so he can increase the rent?

How are comparable rents?

One landlord on here is faced with a 400% increase in mortgage.

1 Like

Extortionate implies violence I am sure you have not received any threats ?

2 Likes

So by your logic if you couldn’t afford at £10 increase this would still be classed as extortionate?!

4 Likes

LL costs are not a relevant issue for FTT(P). It is the comparative rents in the area plus the quality of the F&F.

If the LL has not made provision for a large increase in mortgage cost by stress testing their finances, they won’t be in the business for much longer.

4 Likes

It was used as an illustration only as tenant blind to LL circumstances.

Landlord costs are not directly considered at FTT, but these costs affect the average rent what they do base their decision on.

I would argue that c. 10% difference when comparing to other similar properties is a negligible amount and certainly within “range”.

Your LL hasn’t “proposed”. They can unilaterally increase rent during renewal, if it’s through Form 13. That means they inform you that, if you chose to stay, you will be paying the new rent. You can move out as an alternative. Sounds like your LL saved you money by not raising the rent for three years.

2 Likes

I am not totally “blind” to the landlord’s circumstances. But do you think he fully cares about and can relate to mine though? Highly unlikely.

If you care to go back and read my original post, I said I completely understand the need to increase rents in line with inflation, however I feel an 11% increase is too high. It’s MY opinion. You don’t have to agree with it, but everyone is entitled to one.

Your hostile responses and the way you misinterpret my words suggests you’re a bitter landlord that has had bad tenants in the past.

I have never defaulted once on rent over the past 3 years, despite the annual increases and being in and out of work multiple times. I lived on a basic £10 a week food budget for a whole 3 months when unemployed just so I could pay the rent on time and not let my financial struggles affect the landlord’s mortgage.

I am far from a problem tenant. Just a girl who is really struggling financially and stressing out over how I am going to find an extra £100 a month. It’s totally natural for someone to vent and have a somewhat blinkered view when faced with a rent increase when they’ve been down on their luck money-wise and in survival mode for so long with zero disposable income.

1 Like

I am not entitled. I literally said in my earlier post that he increased the rent several times since I moved in three years ago! So he has not saved me a “a ton of money”. I have in fact saved HIM money by carrying out 99% of the maintenance/DIY related repairs myself.

The terms “propose” and “inform” are interchangeable in my opinion, since he is giving me the choice to accept or or say no. It’s not like he’s forcing me to sign another tenancy agreement at £1000.

I guess you’re another landlord too huh? Sounds like it based on how you, like @Mark10, are choosing to misinterpret my words based on past negative tenant exeriences.

Seems I am not allowed to have an opinion that is remotely anti-landlord on here without being labelled as ungrateful and entitled. Crazy.

“It touches my heart to read all those dramatic posts by T (ah, extortionate!) who don’t like paying market rent or rant about LL “not giving them a chance” when they can’t convince LL that said chance should be given. I really miss Eastern European TT. They never showed such level of entitlement”

Oh and by the way, I haven’t once mentioned anything about convincing the landlord to give me a chance in this thread, so you’re obviously taking what one of your previous tenants has said and using that to misread everything I say.

I think the fact I always pay on rent on time, keep the property in good condition and rarely bother him with any maintenance/repair requests are good enough reasons for him to at least consider my counter-proposal. If not, i’ll understand.

3 Likes

£10 a week is not possible to stay alive unless you had food bank help. I know what it is like to struggle .with no earnings but it was 50 years ago. It can only get better

So you know what your landlords personal circumstances are then, you’ve discussed them with him, you are informed?

If anything I’m slightly miffed at over the top dramatic ignorant sensationalisms, but not bitter.

You said I shouldn’t have an opinion, due to the subjective use of a word, thats sort of ridiculous.

You haven’t answered the question of is the rent increase inline with similar properties in the area, this is the main consideration regardless of all this flannel.