Fair Wear and Tear

We’re being charged by our previous landlord for brand new items - a brand new leather foot rest for £250, as there is a scratch on it, and a brand new sideboard for £350, as there is a minuscule hole. Is this fair?
We’re also being charged for professional cleaning of the flat (when we arrived it was not professionally cleaned but ‘to a domestic standard’, though we did struggle to hoover the carpet when moving out) and professional appliance cleaning as we did not ‘properly’ clean the oven (which itself has not been cleaned when we moved in) or the microwave. To keep our entire deposit bar £50 feels a bit extreme (we’ve agreed to sofa cleaning and replacement of a fridge drawer).

At least you got something back. I left my rented flat in good condition and thoroughly cleaned it. Landlord claims that because some marks on the kitchen worktop he had to replace it. No idea how much it cost, but no sign of any deposit being returned more than 1 month after leaving the flat.
I think there was fair wear and tear and he should have at least returned half the deposit.
In the case of Ellie7, I don’t see that much wear and tear and you should have received a lot more deposit back.

That hole is not fair wear and tear

1 Like

Hi Ellie,

I would check out my post here about how damage claims are decided by deposit scheme arbitrators.

I think the sideboard hole would be seen as wear and tear by an arbitator.

San