Finding new Tenant: how many applications is normal?

One hundred people is astonishing Ann…

Is your flat wildly popular! or expensive, perhaps? or didn’t any of the 99 have the basic requirements?

We’re trying to get to grips with why nobody can rent our property - the enquiries keep coming but the funds are not. People are saying they’re “desperate” and please will we help, but we can’t help if they haven’t got the rent. (Housing benefit doesn’t cover the full amount.)

Will applicants engage with the Open Rent system?

We try to assess affordability in friendly conversations, but many people are refusing to give details of their outgoings/debts, they just say No.

Be patient.
I have had over 60 enquiries
Most do not reply after we ask for a landlord reference and guarantor in the conversation box.
Of the ones ( they are very few) that do get a viewing they are always short of paperwork.
Last week I had four professionals. I informed them of the paperwork required. One asked do we all have to give paperwork and evidence of right to rent .
Yes you do !
I don’t refuse UC but they don’t have guarantors.
I always ask for paperwork substantiating their story. If it’s not forthcoming it’s a red flag.

2 Likes

If they say no, then you should not progress their application any further no matter how “desperate” they are.

2 Likes

To Steve 11
Understood. We’ve learned (the hard way) not to let our hearts get involved, however much we’d like to help.

But how much can you ask? Where do you draw the line? Applicants are claiming the process is “too intrusive” and are running away - even before they are asked to produce bank statements etc. The reactions are so hostile that you start to feel guilty, asking to know what commitments they may have. But income isn’t everything: if you’re earning £1500 per month but paying out £1495 in debts/interest… there’s nothing left for the rent, is there!

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing your own situation, it’s helpful.
We’ve been getting so many (failed) enquiries that Open Rent tightened up the screening [without asking us] and it’s gone very quiet.
But it’s probably a good thing, because I won’t have to try & unpick so many life histories and say “sorry, no thanks”.

I got stalked online last week by a person who had to be refused, and they turned nasty, it was alarming.

How safe does it have to be, for you to accept an applicant? How much can you/would you relax your requirements? (if at all?)

1 Like

Right now you really need to be more careful than ever.
If it turns sour you can’t evict for months so it’s better safe than sorry.

I would not relax my requirements right now. In fact even if they have everything and I get a bad feeling I walk away ( I feel like I want to rip my skin off).
I make it clear that if there are issues HMRC/ Immigration/ DWP and the LA will be called
Those that are going to commit crime don’t come back.
I even had a pair of chaps ask me if I wanted £25 k for the year to grow (6x the price)!!
My solicitor and I had a good laugh after although at the time I was petrified they would harm me if I said no.

The other scam at the moment is offering 6 months rent instead of a guarantor or paperwork.

1 Like

I’m hoping that as it’s a house , rather than a flat for not much more rent than local flats I’ll have lots of interest again, but I did refuse three families whose finances didn’t stack up last time and I’m sure if I’d gone with any of them I’d have had regrets

2 Likes

Ann9 I beg your pardon, yes you did write house and I wrote flat. My fault.

The online reports suggest that flats (usually popular) have been out of favour in 2020, however the 2-bed terrace has maintained its position as no. 3 in the list of favourite properties to rent.

We have a 2-bed terrace, VGC. We’re getting applications from single people who apparently want a whole house for themself… then at the last minute they slip in the fact they have 3 adult children and is it OK if everyone moves in (without being checked out). (Well no, there aren’t enough bedrooms.) I wish people were honest & open from the start, it would save a load of time.

Why is the Tenant you chose a safe bet?

A_A
Are you saying that people are offering money (sometimes lots of), as a replacement for paperwork? just checking.

That does sound suspicious - although in the past a retired person wanted to put down 6 months in advance (and did) because they didn’t have the usual employer/monthly visible income (they had savings). That person was OK, very good tenant.

Yes. they tell you they don’t need a guarantor because of the 6 month upfront rent. I then ask what about month 7.
They reply well we’ll deal with that at month7 !!
I have had one refuse to provide paperwork including right to rent because they were paying rent upfront.
I do take rent upfront for the duration for the AST but from international students or professionals.

The tenants are both NHS professionals and at this moment in time have guaranteed incomes, all references were really good and they’ve been model tenants so far in the upkeep of the house. Neighbours keep in touch with me and have remarked how lovely they are

We’re on Day 4 with 58 enquiries for a 3 bed house in London, most seem not to have understood the screening questions, and/ or are stating a combined income that is less than the rent itself. I’m trying to give each person once chance to rectify/confirm/clarify.

Hello, I’m not looking to rent a property for myself but asking a question for my niece.
Could I ask you( as landlords) what has happened with Brexit and non -Uk nationals when applying as a tenant( who have all the papers i.e. :regular job slips,affordability,credit checks,good landlord references, homeowner guarantor etc.)Is there anything that could be added which could assist in order to be chosen as a tenant?Thanks

They require EU settlement status as after 30 June they shall be classed as illegal immigrants.

https://www.arla.co.uk/news/january-2021/eu-citizens-will-continue-to-pass-right-to-rent-checks/

Ok thanks for the information and link

im looking for a two bedroom place that accepts dss?