Guarantor signing for one of two tenants only

Hi all
We have a PRS 4 bed house and will have 2 tenants (friends) sharing.
They will each have a guarantor.
Does OpenRent enable each tenant have their own guarantor that will represent only that tenant ?
Thank you.

Hi James,

Our tenancy agreement is a joint and several agreement between all tenants and guarantors, therefore all tenants/guarantors are jointly liable to ensure the contract is upheld from their side, but also individually (severally) liable.

We have more information on this in our Help Centre:

Leo

1 Like

As each tenant is responsible for ā€˜all of the rentā€™, as opose to each being responsible for ā€˜half of the rentā€™, then each guarantor is therefore being guarantor for all, rather than half, if you get my drfit. You can pursue or or all of them for all the money.

1 Like

Whilst its true that in a joint tenancy each tenant is responsible for all the rent and could be sued for it by the landlord, it is nevertheless possible to have a limited guarantor agreement where the guarantee is limited to the tenantā€™s ā€œshareā€ or other amount. I suggest you join the NRLA who has such an agreement.

1 Like

Thank you Leo. Thatā€™s very helpful and in line with my thoughts.

Thank you Karl. Thatā€™s great. Helps to confirm my thoughts

Thank you David123. Iā€™m with NRLA. Itā€™s been helpful to to get your thoughts in line with what OpenRent are specifically doing and look at options