Land lord doesnt look genuine

Recently b4 viewing property i had been asked to submitted initial verifaction,photo id,address and proff of employment,
i feel landlord who is based in east london(east ham ) may be wants to any kind of fraud asking b4,
is this correct to ask initial documents ?

Say you will take the information with you when you view if you are doubtful, allthough I see no harm in asking for proof of employment

Hi Shah, this is not particularly unusual behaviour from a landlord as a landlord would need to have all of these things check out later at the referencing and Right to Rent check stages anyway.

It is important that you only hand out details where you are comfortable to do so, however. If you do not feel safe, then do feel free to ask the landlord what they intend to do with this information. As Colin says, you could offer to bring this with you to the viewing.

Especially as landlords now have to pay for referencing, they may wish to get more information from tenants up front. Asking for this is not necessarily cause for concern.

Sam

1 Like

Sam do you mean NOT necessary cause for concern?

Yes! Not cause for concern.

Shah, the landord will likely have a number of applicants. the questions he asks help him decide who is the best candidate. Personally its not the person with the best income that counts with me, I ve got to gel with that person, In effect judge them as to reliability… you have to do the same with a landlord… do you like them, do they seem honest. do you think they have the same principles as yourself so ask questions, a genuine landlord wont mind

Hi
I have seen a property, Im not sure if the landlord is genuine. Can anyone suggest how to find out about it.

genuine in what sense. do you mean does he own the property? Check with land registry. Is he asking for money up front? dont do it. … If his property is on Rightmove they ask for proof that he owns it before listing it

Hi
Thanks,
The things is he told me to do the bank transfer first and then he will come to the property to sign contract and handover the keys.
I was thinking to do the bank transfer and sign the contract at the same time.
Any advice please.
Thanks

Is there anyone else in the property you can ask about him? Has he asked for your I D e g a driving licence. Ask to see his licence and make a note of the numbers on it. . Take along someone else to witness what you are doing.

Hi
Thanks,
He didn’t ask for My Id, he ask to send proof of income and bank statement by whats app,
The property advert which I contacted him was on gumtree and Is on openrent website aswell.
I have heard of many fake landlord taking money and disappear. I’ll ask him to bring his Id when I see him tomorrow.
Thanks

If he didnt ask for your I D how does he know you have the right to rent? landlords are OBLIDGED in law to ask for a tenants I D . It only costs a few quid to check with Land Registry who owns a property. go with your gut feeling

Thanks
Im not gonna make any payments.

Need to find out if he is the landlord.
Thanks

1 Like

Wise man if he is genuine he wont mind that