Landlord has signed tenancy agreement and has breached contract

The letting agent is Atkinson Mcleod.
the letting consultant response was “ Checking ID of Landlords is not a legal requirement.” and when I spoke to him over the phone he said they did no checks at all on the landlord.

It looks like they may be incorrectly registered for Anti Money Laundering supervision because they are only registered as estate agents not letting agents.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1060199/Supervised_Business_Register.csv

3 Likes

Thank you I have just reported them. “May be it only applies if they are managing the property though” They were managing the property up until I signed the tenancy agreement. As they did the viewing, they did the referencing checks, and I paid them my deposit, holding deposit and first month rent in advance. However on the tenancy agreement which I signed on the 05/04/22 it said the landlord has opted to manage the property herself. However I’ve been dealing with the agent from 11/03/22 regarding the same property.

The tenancy agreement also says
32. Notices

32.1. The Landlord has notified the Tenant that according to sections 47 and 48 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1987 the address at which notices (including notices in proceedings) or other written requests may be sent or served on the Landlord is Atkinson McLeod Limited, 45 Westferry Road London E14 8JH or sent by email to propertyman****@a*************.com (I’ve blocked that out for legal situations)

But then later in the tenancy agreement it says

Management of Property

Your Landlord has elected to manage the property themselves. Should you have any queries in relation to the property after signing this agreement you should contact your Landlord direct using the following details: (And has the landlords details)

Daz from Openrent says that they only have to get ID if the rent is more than 10,000 Euros a month, which is a bit ridiclous. I have clients who earn less than that in a year and I till have to get ID from them as an accountant.

1 Like

Hey Cath2, thank you for responding.

I’m a bit confused by the following [quote=“Cath2, post:25, topic:32837”]
Daz from Openrent says that they only have to get ID if the rent is more than 10,000 Euros a month,
[/quote]
And “ presume they will manage properties with income in excess of 10,000 Euros a month.”

Is it that the company should only check ID if they manage properties and these properties in total add up to €10,000 a month
or
is it that the company only check ID if the monthly rental value of the property in question is €10,000 a month

From what Day said, I think it’s if one property is more than 10,000 euros pm, which seems ridiculously high!

1 Like

Bad advice changing locks! That wd b in breach of STA.

This same thing happened to me. I saw the 3 bedroom house and I love to have rent it because my wife and children are coming to the UK soon. The house was initially advertised for £800 while exchanging mails with the agent, a message popped in stating that the landlord had increased the rental to £850. I don’t have a choice so I went ahead to filled and signed the tenancy agreement form. Unfortunately, the next day in the morning, the agent mailed me that the landlord is not happy renting the house to me and I asked why they said they don’t know. As bad as many in the UK feel Nigeria is, it will never happen. I also have issue with them saying 3 children is too much for them in their house and they will not let you get the rent. It was sad and still sad as I’ve not gotten any.

I know that I am saying what I would do as a tenant with an agreement in my hand I would not let them get away with it

1 Like

I think there might be fraud as someone using similar
name somehow by renting the property with using
landlord’s details so I would go back to the estate
agent and tell the estate agent that you will instruct
to your solicitor.

I don’t understand what you’ve written

It could be tenant or someone else be using similar name the
real landlord and advertised the property through
estate agent. Then take the money of deposit and 1st month rent.

I have heard cases like that personally from the tenant
who have been victim.
What is called landlord identity.

Also many years ago I was advertising my property and one of the estate agent stole my property photos and advertised property for rent too and I saw it on rightmove.
When I called the estate agent making enquiry of that my property and the I was told the was rented by it they had another one. I was furious and demanded to speak to the manager. Because my property was advertised for rent on
property with Openrent at that time and still available for rent.

openrent checks landlords before advertising

Have you lied at all and then landlord has discovered lie late in the day?

What was outcome of this?