Leaking roof damaging 1st floor flat

I thought all leasehold places had a fund to maintain the building This a surprise to me

followed your suggestion but my council turn me down flat.
They do not deal with these issue

I would prefer if they did have a sinking fund there has been no maintenance on the exterior since the property was purchased by my parents in1995 the roof now has more holes showing daylight than a sieve, the wooden facias and soffits have rotted and the landing windows are leaking. Trying to get any repairs done is like knitting fog.

that is bad management. >That is exactly why councils sold off all their properties as they were hopeless at repairs … a few decades ago I worked in the private sector . The council workers maintaining properties where not as organised as the private sector ( and thats being polite about it)

You’re not wrong Colin I have had to argue when receiving invoices for work allegedly carried out as they use tendered and outsourced maintenance contractors (cowboys)

For instance I was billed for cleaning out the gutters, which allegedly required scaffolding removing facias and refitting facias.
There was no scaffolding and the facias which are made of ply are so rotten that if removed would not be salvageable to re a fix. They eventually reduced the invoice. I am always reluctant to request any repairs as the invoices are always overinflated.

you can form your own management company in a block of flats . Not sure if that applies to council owned property … Leasehold Advisory service may help?

Great idea Colin funnily enough I was thinking of contacting them to get advice on the lack of maintenance. I do know If anyone buys downstairs we could purchase the freehold, but I am not holding my breath on that happening.

Also if a majority of leasehoders vote for a change you can form your own management team

1 Like