One tenant leaving

Father & daughter have been tenants for 3 years, daughter wants to leave the property, father has said he wants to stay on as sole tenant, do I get him to sign another tenancy agreement or just let it roll? The deposit is in his name. Any help much appreciated

Assuming that both are joint tenants, then one can’t leave the tenancy unilaterally. She would still owe the rent. The only way for her to legally end her liability is to either serve a notice to quit (if its now a periodic tenancy) or agree a surrender with her father and you. In both cases, the tenancy would end for both of them. You would then be able to re-contract with the father if you wish, but I would want to be confident that he can afford it on his own first.

Thank you for this advice. Shelly