Rent guarantee - worth?

I think we could ask them to log into their account
on gov.uk and able to request that you would like
see in person too.

I just spoke to the ICO and if you are only going through something like Openrent platform and using a referencing agency you donā€™t have to register as the agencies will have paid the ICO fee.

As Iā€™m trying to now get around that, and do my own checks I need to pay the very reasonable fee of Ā£35.

Iā€™ve always just let the referencing agency do the job then requested that I see all the documentation, and then question it if there are any issues, but Rentguard always defends their stance if they pass someone. I actually questioned them about this guys LL Reference being his sister and only for four months. They told me they hadnā€™t any idea it was his sister (same surname) . I also asked about the reference from the co-director of his own company and told them I had actually checked their accounts and thereā€™s no way that he could have earned the amount of money that was claimed in the reference, and RENTGUARD still said we are passing him. So that meant I had no argument and had to pay the fee even though they were wrong.

I can see now that I have to be a real detective. Iā€™ve had tenants contact me that donā€™t even earn enough money to cover the rent and when I tell them THEY WOULD NOT PASS, they wonā€™t accept it and just keep emailing me. I know itā€™s really tough out there but an affordability check is just thatā€¦ In the flat Im currently marketing at the moment is top of the range exclusive extremely high standard and yet people that think they can just apply for something like that even though they donā€™t even have the money. There are tons of flats available in their price range on the market in the same area so why are they going for my flat? This is what I find outrageous. What planet are these tenants on?

3 Likes

They like premium comforts for nothing even if they cannot afford. Rule them out if the odds stack up. Once in, some talk only about their rights but not concerned of their obligations. Good properties donā€™t remain empty for long. Good luck.

3 Likes

Just had a tenancy swap, first applicant went thro Homelet Ā£49 ended up, he wouldnt give past LL details so declined so I kept his Ā£100 deposit,I found Homelet difficult to deal with. Next applicants went with NRLA turned them both around in 48 hours for Ā£24.50 each. Is it worth the Ā£299 for the RGI, not to me in this case.I met and questioned the tenants, they have to fill in a detailed questionairre with me before accepting deposit. The rent is Ā£400 so Ā£299 which only cover 6 months, a no go but if the rent was Ā£2000 I would. Dont forget it also cover Ā£25k legal fees. Also keep the deposit and pay the Ā£18.50 insurance. CONTROL,CONTROL,CONTROL anything you can.

2 Likes

take your point, I find that tenants are reluctant to give their info to a landlord directly but will go thro referencing portals and upload. I have still not come across a referencing agency who does a thorough check and give us all the necessary information, document copies in the name of data protection. This makes it hard for me to decide. Why canā€™t a report include sight of all the documents they upload rather than tick box report? if anyone comes across a good ref agency pl share info here.

He wouldnt give his previous LL details to the referencing agent. Ref agents have to comply with data protection that hy you cannot view everything

as a landlord me too reg with Ico, so they can share

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.