Rentals for less than 6 months

Open Rent suggested I am exposing myself by not getting a months rent in advance for a rental of 2-3 months. Can anyone explain to me how to protect myself on a rental for under 6 months. Is there anything I should be aware of? I don’t understand why I am more vulnerable to abuse for not renting my flat for 6 months or more?
Should I definitely ask for a deposit of one months rent?

Does your insurance broker permit a contract of less than six month duration?
Eviction is the issue.
If a tenant is taking a short term let you need to take the rent upfront especially if it is only two to three months. Do not forget to take a deposit just in case of damage to the property.

I thought Open Rent took the money upfront for the rent. It says they pay you 10 days after the tenant has started the rent.
Is there a telephone number where you can call Open Rent and get advice?
The buildings are insured and I have a contents insurance but that is all.

I would email them on FAQs | OpenRent
I only use them for advertising so cannot tell you how it works
Call your insurer and make sure you are ok to take short lets. They usually stipulate you cannot.

1 Like

Why only short lets? You do understand that unless they’re on holiday, it’s likely to be an AST with all the attendant obligations. You cannot currently evict in less than 8 months unless there are arrears, and that’s if they cooperate and all your paperwork is in order.

Thank you for your comments - I understand much better now