Renting to the local council

I was offered a paltry £2K by my council (Camden)!

2 Likes

Many council tenants are very responsible, scrupulous people and I met many people who bent over backwards to pay their rent on time. I think for me the issue is that the current. Economic system is very precarious, the benefit system has some considerable associated risks which, from a landlords perspective could put us at risk . When you add the risk of being landed with an irresponsible tenant it can be a nightmare.

3 Likes

I live in Blackburn the local council will not rent too me as I’m from Bolton and I haven’t rented in the area… I am actually homeLess for over 3 years and they won’t help me too get private or any other type property… and I am not classes as priority as I have no children they told me… I am at the mother in laws house is way crowded and I am a carer for my nephew who stays with me half the week, how fair is this too someone who needs the help… and local council refuse too help in anyway at all… then I did rent from a private landlord who has ripped me off for nearly £3500 in rent and the best part the jobs that need doing in the flat still ain’t been done I have done everything by the book what I was told too do by an inspector and now he is saying he’s going too evict me for doing this even thought I have proof off all wrong doing in his part, 6 builders have told him the kitchen roof need a full replacement and he has told them no as it will cost him too much, he sent a plasterer to my flat and actually asked him too plaster over a really bad leak and he wouldn’t hold him responsible if it actually collapsed onto me so my furniture so I told him he will not be touching the ceiling as the weight will bring it crashing down and it has electrics on the ceiling for the light… that’s a shitty landlord and I gave him a really good reference and the company told me if they knew he was going too rip me off in this way they wouldn’t off even bothered, now I am paying 2 rents one on the flat where I can’t fully live with all my property n re t n bills where I am… I don’t know how landlords can get away with this in some cases other tenants have told me builder after builder have been there and he refused too pay when the job has been done… if I knew this I wouldn’t off even bothered builders who live near him have said he only interested in money, no affence too any off you landlords or ladies but where is my protection from landlords like this as there is none… I am a very very careful person who I deal with and always thought this would never happen too esp when I pay my rent early when he asks and all my bills… now I am actually u waiting for an indd Dad lector and now I am being told j have too wait till Covid is over witch is not fair… plus he is refusing too give me a refarencr too me blackmailing me saying he will tell them I’m a bad tenant whitch I am actually not… any advice that any off you landlords or ladies could give me I. What’s steps I could actually take after iv done all I can… I need too get out off the tenancy do I can Rd t another property… I am
Stuck with nowhere else too turn… I’m at not a person too ask for help but I need a little guidance in this matter after iv done it all by the book and now he’s being an arsehole with me… sorry about the language… thank you for any feedback if any is given…

report him to the local council housing officer in a registerd letter

OMG could not agree more with these horror stories.A few years ago I took separately two different tenants both on benefits who seemed very pleasant and made all the right noises etc. I was offered £1.5 k to take the single mum and £2k to take the family, transferred over from another LA. Apart from some noisy parties and an unauthorised small dog neither behaved too badly but the LA ( begins with H in north London…) was a nightmare. After a short while they stopped paying HB due to unspecified ‘ problems’ with their tenancies ( no one ever answered the phone and after three weeks of emailing told me only that all info was confidential due to data protection laws) They did not pay any rent for 8 months until I finally got a partial back payment, by which time I had decided to evict them both as the behaviour got worse and even more cavalier ( e.g. moving in random men for noisy sex, smoking weed on the front doorstep, one child having a serious breakdown and having to be forcibly sectioned) At which point both tenants took over their own HB and withheld it. With the loss of rent,legal fees for the eviction hearing and random ‘redecoration’ done by the family, I reckon I lost about £12k. Even with a court order they wouldn’t go, the LA actually advising them to wait for the bailiff before they moved out!! ( at more expense for me of course) Total nightmare

3 Likes

Just reinforces what I always say . You CANNOT trust the local authority employees and their bosses . They will LIE to get rid of scumbags

3 Likes

I think the point clearly is lost with you.
I don’t think anyone here has actually said that tenants on benefits are bad tenants, just that the one’s the council find for landlords do seem to be. It’s almost like the council knows full well that these tenants will be hard work and rather than dealing with them would prefer to send them on to some unwitting landlord.
The bulk of this chat is about how L.A.s deal with this situation.
I actually have two tenants on benefits who I found myself, who have a good guarantor and so far have been excellent tenants. There just starting their third year.

2 Likes

these councils definitely know the "hard work " tenants, Landlords beware !. Local councils can be devious in this respect, you will get no help if it goes belly up

must admit this is what I found

1 Like