Section 21 notice format

I am a Landlord and would like some advise on serving an S21 notice, having never done it before…

In the government 6A form for serving an S21, do i leave all the Gov verbiage in the body of the form, before serving it to the tenant? or do i remove this all and add a covering letter with the ‘fill in here’ information enclosed? i.e what is the layout i should be using to make it ‘legal’ / correct?

(example : do i leave all this?
"FORM 6A
Notice seeking possession of a property let on an Assured Shorthold Tenancy

Housing Act 1988 section 21(1) and (4) as amended by section 194 and paragraph 103 of Schedule 11 to the Local Government and Housing Act 1989 and section 98(2) and (3) of the Housing Act 1996

*Please write clearly in black ink. Please tick boxes where appropriate. *

*This form should be used where a no fault possession of accommodation let under an assured shorthold tenancy (AST) is sought under section 21(1) or (4) of the Housing Act 1988. *

**There are certain circumstances in which the law says that you cannot seek possession against your tenant using section 21 of the Housing Act 1988, in which case you should not use this form. These are:

Due to the pandemic I would not do this without a solicitor. Tessa Shepperson advocates that Landlords do this themselves but has advised, due to changes in covid legislation, to get a professional to do this.
There is a lot of additional paperwork… breathing space, are you aware of the effect of Covid on the pandemic etc etc
I am currently on the landlord law course. Ben Beadle alluded that the 6 month notice may lift at the end of the month so you may want to wait till 1 June.

1 Like

Thanks for the guidance A_A - much appreciated.
I am planning to sell the property, hence the need to issue a S21 no fault notice.

I’ve checked all the Gov details and seems i am able to issue one legally… i am just not clear on what content is to go into the notice letter, so hoping someone here can make a suggestion?

Cheapest way is to join NRLA and phone their helpline

1 Like

The notice has been reduced to four months from June 1st and there is a new section 8 firm to accommodate this
Published today

2 Likes