Tenant left owing rent despite passing credit checks

Hi Kath
Can you let us have his/her name please.

the general area (city or town) you operate in would be a help

My main goal for carrying out the referencing is to obtain the rent guarantee insurance. If the applicant (or their guarantor) doesn’t pass the referencing I won’t offer them the tenancy. This provides me with peace of mind should things go pear-shaped. However, before selecting the successful tenant, I meet all the applicants in person when they come to view the property. From this I can usually discount a good few from the selection process.

Since the tenant application charges were banned, I have also started asking to see 3 months bank statements and 3 months wage slips before the referencing commences. This gives me the opportunity to verify the wages are coming in and also get a rough idea of the outgoings of the applicant.

I also do quite a bit of Googling to ensure nothing negative is thrown up on the applicant.

I am also thinking that I will start paying the selected applicant a visit to their current home before offering the tenancy.

Each of these are small weapons in a landlord’s arsenal against nightmare tenants and so far have served me well. When the day comes that a tenant defaults, I have the rent guarantee to fall back on (assuming the insurance company doesn’t try to wriggle out of paying).

3 Likes

if you live nearby visiting their present home is a good idea

1 Like

I’d rather not give his name but it’s in the Derby area.

thats why they get away with it if you dont share a name.

1 Like