Tenants complaining about mould and damp on wall and ceiling

Hey my opinion is not distorted, far from it only people who say I’m wrong is other private let landlords, mainly online. Anywhere else and everyone else who is not a private let landlord agree with me. So after this experience it quite clear thanks for your help

If you read all the messages you will see they say “typically”.
You didn’t give them enough info to make an informed opinion.
You should go and get environmental health in if your landlord won’t assist and you are not able to or are unwilling to heat/ventilate/dehumidify yourself.

Case closed.

1 Like

Lol and the word from one of my advisors, I took a screenshot of what you said and sent it, you are trying to say I’m distorted because I was honest about having a mental health condition any excuse. But I do heat and open window as I have said I do every thing I can do and take on board what everyone says hey I have a brain still though I’m not brains of Britain but clearly neither are any off you. I actually fairly intelligent myself :wink:

Mark Do not waste your time

3 Likes

If you don’t laugh you cry :sob: :rofl:
Just cause you are not getting your own way.

I am simply sticking up for my rights as a tenant and for other tenants out there especially with landlords with an attitude such as yours. My landlord does not have such an attitude and I’m quite sure when I tell him about this and environment health want to investigate and cab or on to it, I’m quite sure it will get sorted not I want to do that but looks like I have no other option, I personally don’t think i should have to go to such extreme measures. All in all it’s good to get the over all opinions of private let landlords in general and maybe if anyone reading this it may help them understand better about right and wrong.

CASE CLOSED Case closed

Hi George123 I have insulated and worked for many landlords over 50 years . to not have any mould > Insulated house walls and roof. Small amount of ventilation Small amount of heat in all areas. I once built a fitted wardrobe in a house in a room where they did not heat the room ,3 months later mould in the wardrobe, They cleaned it up and put the heating on a low setting , no more mould!! Tenants need to play their part in wiping down the shower ,using extractor fans in bathroom and kitchen even when washing machine is on. Also mild amount of heat in every room, Ventilate by slight opening of window and so on No wet clothes on rads.

2 Likes

Thanks @Colin3 ,
I agree with you.

1 Like

What tenants and landlords can fail to realise is that a house has to “breathe”. Moisture from our breath, cooking ,washing showering ,cleaning etc has to go somewhere. Has to be " collected" (in a de humidifier) or transfered outside (by an extractor), or best of all ,not produced in the first place. . So some tenants produce it ,and then blame the landlord expecting him to fix their way of living.

3 Likes

I understand that, the landlord is responsible for the upkeep of the structure of the property. I came back, after 3 days away. There was no heating on, no windows open. No ventilation in the flat, every room is condensation damp and mould free, apart from the bedroom. It did clean it last week, it’s not been used in any way.
So from months of trying everything I’ve read up on and been advised to treat, damp mold condensation, it’s oviously not an issue with me, I am how ever cleaning away as any normal person with self respect would. I’m heating the room once again. You say a home shoukd have heating on all the time, that is not true, my old family home does not and no mould or damp.
It’s quite straight forward so from what I have learnt on here most landlords don’t take responsibility when they should buy I do understand a tenants duty to. Which I fulfill 100%
Thanks see ya

Landlords here are thorough and will exhaust things before drawing a conclusion. Some on here have 50+years of experience, they have seen it all and take responsibilities seriously. They know far better than you, this is a fact you don’t like.

You seem keen to unfairly and ignorantly label them.
You should just get on with sorting the problem with the appropiate authorities rather than spending your life whining.

1 Like

There’s a big difference between not heating a room for 3 days and not heating it at all. I have a requirement in my tenancy agreement that all rooms need to be heated to a minimum of 13 degrees at all times. If a room falls below this for a significant period, mould is likely.

3 Likes

I see no problem it’s funny though that not one property I have lived in my life has heating on all day at any temperature. But I appreciate all feed back obviously not all landlords are in the same boat. I’m sorry if I came Across as cheeky or rude.
I am on to the situation, I have cleaned wipes walls window as my landlord suggested and will continue to. I will do as he asked but I’ll still get officials in to inspect they can confirm and I’ll go to the GP about my breathing and lungs cause of the damp condensation and mould I can feel it, they will confirm to.
Nothing else I can do really.
Thanks
Enjoy your day

Sorry about the previous post - I’m not used to certain aspects of the forum.

I’ll TL;DR my previous post. I’m currently in a house alone and heating it to keep it dry would be expensive. I’ve been really impressed by my good sized dehumidifier, and I feel it’s keeping my house dry, condensation and mould free. My electric bill is £60 a month, but that includes lighting, induction hob, dishwasher, washing machine, electric blanket, and computers.

Unless anyone wants to point out unintended consequences of my strategy (which would be appreciated), I feel this is a good alternative to heating the home itself.

2 Likes

I use a de H in my bathroom for half hour after shower. Your £60 is very good considering todays prices

1 Like

Now that is the best advice I have Heard on here from any one. £60 that is easily affordable, where have you been lol if some one had said this exact words before you really are a legend. It may be it won’t solve all the problems but It won’t make it worse £60 is pocket money. I spend double that on electricity lol​:sun_with_face::sun_with_face::sun_with_face:

So ExTenantPerson pops up and tells it exactly how it is, it’s in the name really ‘Tenant’ of course who would no better than a tenant since they live the experience then self. Honesty is the best policy. All the most successful people are honest, unhonestly just brings you problems on any aspect of life. Take a leaf out this guy’s book. Straight talking, much respect :raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands:

How much was the dehumidifier my landlord has said he has one but wil take awhile to get it back, I can’t wait that long, I’ll buy one.

1 Like

See I’m a decent tenant cause I’m taking action that does not effect my landlord instead of going down the official route. Ill buy a dehumidifier if it halfs my electricity consumption and drys the room. Any thing to keep a good relationship with a sound guy. Regardless of anything else cause I’m a nice guy to.:wink:

The dehumidifier is a Wessex Dehumidifier 20L, which cost me £160 from Toolstation. The 20L is a number of litres per day maximum (it never gets near that). The tank to hold water is 5.5l.

Previously when I was a tenant, managed to keep the house ventilated enough to avoid mould and damp. However, I think that using the dehumidifier is a better option. It is a bit noisy, but I haven’t read through the manual to work out how to activate the night (supposedly quieter) mode. When I read up on dehumidifiers I read that this would probably do one room, but I have it on the landing at the top of the stairs and I can’t see any condensation or damp anywhere in the house. The walls don’t feel damp. It seems to be sufficient.

I don’t think that Wessex is the best brand, but I could buy one instantly when I found a damp house. So, I did.

When I walked into the house (purchased) for the first time after completion, it felt quite damp and I went straight to get a dehumidifier at least as a stopgap. So, I don’t think the house is naturally dry. But, currently I’m still using it. Eventually I’m going to have to start the job of undoing some external work where it seems that previous owners have played a game of ‘lets see how many places we can breech the damp-proof course’ and let’s let the gutters get blocked for extra fun. But, that’s irrelevant to this thread.

3 Likes