The Great Management Swindle: how letting agents have been ripping off landlords who need tenancy management

We did the same with our first property in Blackpool… When the tenants left they supposedly sent in their recommended cleaners. Unfortunately when I went in it was anything but clean My feet actually stuck to the flooring there was dust bits on carpets dirty windows. Binned them off and did it myself. Never looked back. They sent someone to remove all rubbish but they took only what they could sell but left overflowing bins full of bottles stinking rubbish that we had to take to tip in our car it was horrible. Never again money down the drain. Never looked back with Openrent.

1 Like

If the letting agents dealt with maintenance issues efficiently I’d be happy to pay 10 to 15% of rent which is the going rate for my area especially as in my case it’s tax deductible at 40% .
The problem is they can be very slow and sometimes totally useless to sort things out especially on Friday evenings or bank holiday weekends .
Imagine a badly leaking roof at 7pm on a Friday evening of a bank holiday weekend and you will get the picture .

even for a landlord handling own repairs weekends are tricky !

1 Like

This is a very bias article, considering OpenRents offering.
Vesta Lettings in the South West offers 8% at Full Management with a full list of transparent fees on their website and includes many of the paid for services which are often additional from other agencies.
You need to consider the full market rather than just picking out the extortionate prices and writing a clickbait article about them. We always suggest the landlord shop around for the level of service they require as one size doesn’t fit all.
Additionally self management doesn’t account for the considerable legislative changes which take place each year, which a regulated property professional should provide.

3 Likes

They are all too greedy. Stay away from Estate Agents.

1 Like