To stay or not to stay?

Hey, hoping for some help!
My fixed term contract came to an end earlier this month. I handed in my notice and found a new property which I am due to move into in the next fortnight. A replacement has been found for my current house, and the agency have provided my references for my new landlord.
Today I received an email to say the landlord of my current house is selling the property, and he served the whole house with their two months notice. The agency have now stated I can’t leave as planned and have to serve the two months, or if I do leave, the entire house will have to leave at the same time as we’re tied together.
I am confused why I was allowed to leave prior to the eviction notice being served but am now not able to based on being in a joint contract?
I’m in a situation where I either have to pay rent for both properties for two months, or risk losing my new house which is not ideal.
Has anyone been in a similar situation or have any advice?

As you may be aware, one individual can’t just leave a joint tenancy. The Tenant comprises everyone. As you are in a periodic tenancy you are able to serve notice to quit individually, but it will end the tenancy for everyone. If your notice was valid, then there is no going back and the tenancy will end. The notice can’t be rescinded by either you or the landlord. If the notice was not valid, but the landlord/agent accepted it, (and you would need evidence of this), then you are free to leave once it expires. What they do about the other tenants is their problem.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.