Unexpected Holding Deposits

On my current listing i’ve had two tenants pay a holding deposit even though I never asked them for one, and one of them was not even being put through referencing. I’ve also had multiple other tenants who I rejected come back and tell me Openrent are asking them to place a holding deposit? Is there a way to stop Openrent asking for a holding deposit automatically? Tenants who place a holding deposit when you haven’t asked for one makes it uncomfortable for the landlord as they are effectively trying to bribe you into taking their application!?

When you message or speak to them tell them if anyone places a holding deposit WITHOUT your sayso will NOT have any chance of getting the property

1 Like

Yeah will try that in future. I expect they won’t listen though, like when you say no dogs and they turn up to the viewing with a dog :rofl:

2 Likes

and then tell you it someone elses dog !

2 Likes

I was wondering if this “holding deposit” was a new thing as I let one over the summer and didn’t have any of these issues. Wondered if OpenRent had changed their policies or something.

they will probably answer you tomorrow when they read these posts

On my auto reply to tenant queries I have it in black and white NOT to place a holding deposit and/or trigger Rent Now without mutual agreement.

1 Like

I am not a rent now landlord, yet openrent took holding deposit when I had not paid for their rent now service, I only pay for the middle package which is ultimate advertising. I was surprised to see that holding deposit was paid without my knowledge. Contacted openrent via email several times, they now say the option of placing holding deposit is on all packages! When did this change? why is this not clear ly mentioned when we choose their levels of advertising? no apologies from them, I had to then return the deposit, try to explain someone who barely gets by with English that there is an error in their system. Frustrated with standard email replies each time a new person!

2 Likes

Legally you can only take one holding deposit at a time so this issue needs to be sorted with Openrent

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.