Use of letting agents

Hi,
I am finding the personal contact with my tenant very challenging but have all the other things in place eg. Gas safety, maintenance etc . Any advice on using an agent please? I am not liking the direct tenant messages etc

What is the problem with the tenant messages? Are they rude? demanding? too frequent?

You could try to find an agent to take over the management if you really don’t feel capable of continuing.

Find an independent. Corporates are generally poor I feel. Over inflated prices and stretched.

Do home work before committing.

You don’t want one that insists on tenancy renewal (along with its fee).

Some will say that its “their” tenant and if you ditch them you ditch the tenant also, unless you pay a fee. Obviously different in this case but bear this in mind.

You want one local to property and who you can talk to easily. If they don’t answer the phone not a good sign.

Ask them if they have a markup is on tradespeople’s invoices. Do they send their own or the tradespersons?

Also, remember, you are the customer. You don’t have to accept their terms - you can negotiate and walk away if you don’t like their contract.

I refused to sign contracts with no cancellation (eg they introduce a tenant and you are stuck with them until the tenant moves out) and sales agent fees (you sell whilst there’s a tenant in and you have to pay them a commission) because I think they are grossly unfair.

I just told the agent I wouldn’t sign a contract with those terms in and they agreed to take them out.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.