Wear and Tear meaning

Coming to the end of 6-7 year tenancy. Flat was fully furnished with decent stuff (wasn’t intending to rent out)

I am assuming quite a bit of wear and tear … what would be the point of where it’s actually beyond wear and tear? The tenancy says they have to have the place back to how it was. Of course that is impossible but cleanliness wise can I ask them to have a company clean it etc?

Or is there no point to scrutinise in such a way … I am expecting to need to paint the place. I guess windows and appliances are key to make sure they are all fine.

The tenant is also asking for a reference and this is prior to any check.

you can ask, but they don’t have to and you can’t force them to pay a fee for anything at the end of a tenancy. You can however deduct from the deposit for any damage beyond wear and tear providing you either have a) the tenant’s agreement that you can deduct or b) proof from inventory photos versus current photos of the damage which you can use to back up your side of the argument when the deposit deductions are disputed by the tenant.

You do have an inventory right?

After 6 or 7 years I would expect to have to paint walls, but anything that needs more than a refresh would be more than fair wear & tear.

Carpets generally have an expected life of 10 years in a rental so if they are new they should have few years left - but they should be clean.

You cannot ask the tenants to have the house professionally cleaned, but you can ask to to clean it to a professional standard or to the standard it was when they moved in.

Anything actually broken is damage not wear & tear.

I would suggest a pre-end of tenancy inspection where you can advise the tenants what they need to do.

When assessing the wear & tear, do remember how much rent you have had!

2 Likes

Tenants moving on to another rental will need a reference to secure it before they leave yours. You base it on rent payment history and anything else relevant over the period.

Over a 7 year tenancy, the value of many items will have depreciated to near zero, so even if there is damage, you wouldnt get much for it.

Re-read your tenancy agreement and inventory to understand what was agreed about cleaning and the condition of items when they moved in.

1 Like

Yes Inventory was done. Yes painting walls is a given. The tenancy states the property must be cleaned to a professional standard as to how it was at the start of the tenancy.

I called landlord Assoc yesterday and they advised no landlord should give a reference direct to a tenant. They stated any prospective landlord or agency should contact you for a reference directly.

Although I understand why, I don’t see how that benefits a landlord who wants a tenant to leave. You email the reference which is proof of the content, if the tenant wants to manipulate it that’s their prerogative

1 Like

Why would you want any LL to inherit a reference that a tenant has “manipulated”?

Plus, I wouldn’t trust a reference that an applicant gave me themselves. I want one directly from previous LL (preferable to current one) and want to be able to talk to them too.

1 Like

I wasnt suggesting you give the reference to the tenant. You need to let them know that you are willing to give a reference to the new agent/landlord on request.

2 Likes

The only thing to write in your reference is their names and duration of the tenancy.
Do not write anything good bad or false.
It will come back to bite you!
The landlord association should have advised you not to give a false reference.
These tenants have been difficult .
I would not give the tenant opportunity to manipulate a reference . That may cause you problems too!
I call or write to the landlord myself for a reference.

I served s21 last year.
I was called by a rent insurer for a reference for the same tenant.
I did not take the call as I did not want to give a reference.
I left it to them to formulate their own decision to take the tenant .

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.