Which APT to use?

There were a lot of amendments but I’ve built them up over the last two decades after problems with tenants .

They’ve been proof read by my solicitor and the university .

Nothing is unreasonable and it’s just more detail than a boilerplate contract . I read an ARLA contract 8 years ago and it was the best contract I’ve read so far . It had a huge amount of detail.

Eg acting in a tenant like manner ( which was coined by Lord Denning in 1953 Warren vs Keen ) . I’ve included responsibility of bulbs , window cleaning , oven cleaning , upholstery cleaning yearly etc etc . I go into detail so it’s not ambiguous and hopefully not refutable .

I tell them how to heat the house ( ref WHO, NHS and uk government guidelines ) . In context we provide piv units and the houses have been insulated ( grounds etc) and chimneys removed. If they don’t heat the house they’ll still get mould . I don’t want to pay for redecoration after making huge structural changes because they don’t heat the house or they don’t use the tumble dryer or they put clothes on the radiator and don’t dry clothes in the designated areas which have adequate extraction .

The key is in the detail . Especially when you are doing interim inspections. This all matters, especially since RRA.

I tell them what to do if the house is being empty for a long period of time ( especially in Christmas holidays )

You need the detail when you go to adjudication. I listened to a lecture many years ago. It’s amazing how much detail is required in a contract if you want to claim for a deposit .

I don’t change the wording of a standard contract . I just add in a lot of detail specific to our property.

Tessa’s contract has much more detail than the n r l a one

2 Likes