Advice needed - tenant has CCJ but willing to pay upfront

Thanks for your reply. Can I ask what stopping the ad for a short while would do? Does it enable you to switch off the OR tenant screening?

Also, are you suggesting that you have OR’s tenant screening option set to ON, as well as your own screening questions in the form of an Auto-reply?

It’s more about public perception. If it looks like a new ad, it’ll go onto rightmove notifications for those that have set up an alert. Some new words, photos etc always revitalise an ad too. If you are having trouble with screening options, have a word with openrent, they’re pretty helpful. You should be able to control these things yourself but if not they can do all kinds of things. Main thing is though, are your screening questions appropriate to knock out the type of applicant you don’t want? If they aren’t your own questions, that may be the problem.

2 Likes

Refused 1 guy with a ccj with a story about “I don’t know where the ccj came from but I am paying for it”. It then turned into really nasty conversations about him being refused on unfair ground etc that I was over the moon that I didn’t bother. I had to apply for a CCJ for another guy who stopped paying and ran away and you really need to keep ignoring it for a long time and not deal with it like a grown up before it goes on the record… So I’d never ever touch a person with a CCJ in my life even if they pay 2y upfront. And you are quite frankly right… if they can pay 12m upfront why they can"t pay it off? Are they loaning it from family who is trying to get rid of them… I was all nice and rosy until a certain point of dealing with tenants - never ever again as it’s too costly emotionally to get rid of them

5 Likes

I have a tenant with ccj, I took them on with a guarantor which was his parents. He forgot I did that and stopped paying the rent. I rang and reminded him , he paid and hasnt missed a beat since. I did right not to trust a CCJ tenant, I will never trust them, if you take them on expect to get you fingers burnt one day.
You only have to know what it takes a creditor to go thro the process of taking them to court ect, a nightmare, these are bad people

Everyoe can avoid a CCJ. I had a land dispute and lost, if you pay within the month you dont get a CCJ. So I raised a loan to pay it off, I have now paid the loan. 99% of People who get a CCJ couldnt give a fig.

2 Likes

Don’t do it. I agreed to take a tenant with modest CCJ and 6 months up front - worst tenant ever - dishonest, drunk, damage etc Turned out, after I evicted him, he was also declared bankrupt as well…if someone has a means to pay a CCJ but hasn’t, that’s a reflection of attitude and how they will treat a tenancy.

4 Likes

Hi Dev,
It is pretty straight forward. His Credit does matter to him if he has capability to pay £5K in 5 years and choose not to, then he lack the character to pay on transaction. It’s just another point we consider in lending. Some have ability to pay on loan but choose not to. Just something you should look into.

Regards,

2 Likes

i have in the past ignored CCJs because of some promises from them, much hope from me in human nature, For example, when Grandfather as Guarantor promised to pay the rent for his DSS grandson’s family, and was guarantor. Great, what could go wrong? : until his Grandson on Coke, beat up his wife (of nine children) who was sleeping around with the Security Guard at work, and Grandson ended up in mental institution (drugs and drink) and had to be taken off the contract in order to get a room to live in. Within hours of being removed from the Contract, Grandpa wants out of Guarantor, the wife stops paying rent, moves in (violent) boyfriend, so Grandpa doesn’t want to pay the rent any more … you can see where this is going. A few months (and thousands of lost rent and Court Fees) we finally get Eviction, and even the Bailiffs, who were to arrive on a Tuesday. Thursday before Bailiffs due to do their stuff … Telephone call, pandemic we are not doing evictions any more. The family did go, and I was pleased to have to repair ALL PVC doors, locks jammed, broken, kicked in, one door fell off its hinges entirely. ALL internal doors had holes top and bottom from kicks and punches and had to be replaced, with doors hinges and paint, only two kitchen cabinet doors were on hinges. A radiator ripped off the wall (consequent leaks and heating system had to be chased and repaired), a ceiling from leaks had to be removed and replaced. All the damages occurred in a few months … speechless. I do have other stories. I would avoid this person based upon my experiences. BTW: debt letters coming in by the wheelbarrow load.

6 Likes

hi Dav,
I had one application from someone with 3 CCJs during the pst 5 yrs.
They will try to look secure at the point to tell you a nice story about their successful life, their high paid job, how good tenants will be and, ladies and gentlemen, they always pay you rent upfront for at least 6 months in advance. Fantastic, right?1?
NO, isn’t.
One advice: stay well away. Someone not able to manage their finances, will transfer their problem to you. Some of the comments above explain well how landlords are affected.
Apologies if this comment my offend someone, but sometimes needs some brutal clarity.

6 Likes

Staying with patents is always a flag, why, how long, where before for last 5 years

3 Likes

For me, there’s too many holes here. We’ve been stung in the past with similar stories. Everything is plausible, people do live with parents short term if they’ve lost their job, people will take out a loan for a family member and not be paid back, but the loan company would be writing to you to ask for the payments and with the amount they earn they would have picked up the payments. But, where did they live prior to living with parents? Personally, I’d decline, better to wait for the right applicant and have the property empty for a few months than run the risk of no rent for months and months anll the stress and upset that comes with it. Good luck.

3 Likes

Ask for 6 months bank statements and wage slips - this will indicate how well they manage their money and ask for a guarantor (working home owner). If they can’t provide these or they don’t look good- move on
I did take on a tenant ( with a family) who had a ccj- he did have a good reference from previous landlord of paying ( I saw evidence) and saw both his working wife and his bank statements and wage slips and he also provided a working home owner guarantor. He has been a model tenant.

4 Likes

Thats rubbish leslie not every person that lands up wth a CCJ is dishonest there is sometime s circumstances happen 2 a tenant by the landlord them selfs .wth no fault 2 the tenant i landed up with a CCJ all because after doing 3.5 yrs of unofficial building works for my landlord & i was paying rent 2 her unfortunately she kept saying ill sort out rent receipts which never came rather than pay me she evicted me instead im bn homeless since 20th August 2019 .i hav ganators .u cant condem every possible tenant aint logical

One side of the story ?, but your the one with a CCJ which was handed by a judge looking at the facts.
In any event if people want to take on CCJ Tenants thats their choice, but not for me and many like me, thank you.

1 Like

Hi,

I need some advice urgently please.
I have offered a tenancy to someone to start in the next couple of days based on the following terms:

1. 6 months advance rent paid the day before moving in. The 6 months rent to be paid equates to an exact period and for a precise amount that covers the first 6 months and no more.
  2. 5 weeks rent deposit
  3. Universal credit paid directly into my account from the start of the tenancy. (this is regarded as further rent advance. After the initial 6 months term if the tenant wanted to continue with the remaining 6 months of the tenancy agreement then they would have a balance already with me i.e. rent paid in advance for a defined period and at the same rate – np hidden fees etc)
  4. Guarantor
    The reason why I have been so strict with this prospective tenant is because they are high risk and have 3 CCJ’s. The Universal credit money that Is paid to me from the start of the tenancy is regarded as advance rent for the following 6 months to ensure when the first 6 months is over, I’m not chasing the tenant for future advance rent.
    Apologies if my query above doesn’t make sense, please ask me questions for clarification.

I am assuming this is a 12 month AST
You cannot ask for double rent as in clause 3
You either take 12 months upfront or 6 months upfront and then monthly
What you are doing comes across as dodgy

1 Like

It is likely that the 6 months rent will be regarded by a court as an illegal and unprotected deposit if you also take rent payments from the start. You will be liable to a penalty of up to 3x the value of that deposit.

Please do some more training in this area rather than winging it.

1 Like

forget it you are on a loser and sound desperate .I will let you borrow my barge pole 3 ccj s !!! Are you crazy ?

2 Likes

Great info. Do you know what the golden number usually is? Is it something like 3 x the rental amount? I think I’ll add this to my template when screening tenants/asking for further info.

1 Like

I just went on line & compared a few affordability calculations like this one

There are slight differences but it gives you an idea of where to pitch it. Check a few to make sure you’re on the right track. Good luck!

1 Like