Advice needed: Tenant trying to bring piano

I have a new tenant moving in today, they have inadvertently let slip that they’re bringing their piano! This has set off major alarm bells due to potential damage to the property - they can weigh over 500kg - and there’s the issue of noise nuisance for neighbours.

The contract does not specifically prevent the tenant from bringing potentially damaging goods onto the property, only liability for costs arising as a result of said damage. There’s also a clause that prohibits generating noise that could be a nuisance, but a court ruling from 2017 appears to have defined piano playing as not a nuisance if it’s for less than 5 hours during the day.

They should have disclosed that they had a piano before signing the tenancy docs. I was aware they were a musician, but I was expecting a guitar or similar, not a half-tonne 80 decibel fixture!! There is a rehearsal studio 5 minutes away, and the local town hall can be hired by the hour and has a piano, so I see no reason for them to claim they need to bring their own into the house. How do I nip this in the bud?

Unless you specifically asked what instruments they would be bringing why would they disclose it?

You have little choice in my opinion, they are doing nothing which is in breach of contract at this stage.

I would have a quiet chat about asking them to be considerate of the neighbours.

The damage thing goes regardless of the cause.

With knowing they are a musician and not asking the question - you missed a trick there. Asking a musician not to bring a piano would be like asking a parent not to bring their child.

Be grateful it’s not a drum kit…

5 Likes

I’m not sure why you’re so worried. You don’t seem to know anything about the piano. It might be electric with headphones, so no noise. They might play beautiful music. You don’t stop someone bringing in a stereo which could be vastly noisier.
Any damage done - a door frame knocked etc because of moving in will be covered in your contract. Once they’ve moved in you can arrange an inspection and ask for any damage to be repaired. I trust you had a professional inventory inspection and this is signed and agreed, noting the state of the property - so you should have no problems. I have let to musicians before. One put a whole studio in and paid to install an alarm as his equipment was worth so much. Always paid on time and kept the place immaculate.
Don’t panic. All could be fine. Good luck.

4 Likes

Lots of people have pianos they never touch.

1 Like

So it turns out it is an absolute behemoth (it’s a grand piano called a Model M).

It strikes me that saying you’re a musician then bringing a grand piano into my house without asking permission is no different to someone in an application saying they work as a vet, saying that they had pets, detailing “1x Feline” then showing up with a tiger that could tear the property to sawdust.

There is no mutual break clause, but they cannot use the property for business use. Surely, if they are a professional musician and they play music on an instrument that is clearly for professional use, rather than an electric keyboard that would be accepted as general domestic use, then I can treat that as business use. No different to a joiner setting up a loud workshop in the living room then selling goods - this is still business use even when there’s no footfall.

They could play the piano in a non business capacity, professional doesn’t constitute a business.

If they tutored people at home that would be a business.

Is the house detached? It is big enough to support a grand patio?

I agree that they should have mentioned it before as it’s not exactly an every day item, but then again perhaps they knew they would be talking themselves out of you letting the property to them.

If we think about it, does the size really matter? An electric guitar with an amp blasting heavy metal could be hell for neighbours. (Better for ear drums that the tenant was a pro rather than amateur!). What about a loud music system?

it all comes down to how considerate the tenant is.

3 Likes

Is the tenants name Les Dawson by any chance? I had a tenant who had a small electric piano Bootiful player

It’s a 2-bed mid terrace, the piano takes up the whole of the front room. Could I force them to get rid of it citing safety concerns regarding emergency access? I could see a problem with paramedics trying to get an ambulance stretcher past.

It’s also clearly visible from the street which creates an increased burglary risk.

If a tenant’s item is a safety hazard, do I have grounds to seize and remove it from the property?

Seize their Goods??? Wow . You have to be joking . How long have you been a landlord ?. The courts would have a field day with you. A burglar may steal the piano? Really.

11 Likes

Only if you want to end up at the police station!

As @Colin3 says, they’d hardly be able to do it quietly in the middle of the night and sneak it away in the swag bag .

Maybe you should speak with your tenant and make him aware of your concerns, ultimately you may have to wait to see what occurs .

5 Likes

How are they getting it in ?

I could look on gumtree for a grand piano for sale ! Cash only job

1 Like

No wonder landlords get excoriated by tenants. It’s a musical instrument, part of of his employment. If he was a tree surgeon reviving up a chainsaw, fair enough but a piano!!!

2 Likes

Maybe the tenant instead of a piano could turn the front room into a garage for their car and put an up and over door on the front of the house.

1 Like

I’m also intrigued how they would get it into the property, makes me think of the Laurel and Hardy sketch .

1 Like

Do you remember Mr Shifter, the chimp tea advert ? "hey Dad do you know this piano is on my foot? "… " You hum it son and I will play it "

1 Like

I actually thought of that yesterday Colin. My father worked in furniture delivery, he used to laugh his head off at that advert.

2 Likes

some of the older adverts I just love The specsavers where the girl waves , and kisses the wrong man with a smacker of a kiss. We could go on

3 Likes

I concur with the other replies, it’s not reasonable to expect them not to bring it at this point.

If you want something practical to do, ask the tenant to place acoustic isolating pads under each foot of the piano. Then the sound will not be transmitted directly via the floor, but only via the air.

3 Likes

Or a bit of rubber :grin::+1: