Bathroom totally ruined with mould

Hi Clare, I’m not legally trained and if you need legal instruction that I’d recommend asking a legal professional.

If you want access to remove mould, then I’m not convinced that would be an emergency or warrant emergency access. Mould is hazardous, but not in the acute way necessary. I’d recommending trying a few more times to get in touch with the tenant, explaining that you are attending to improve the property and that if you can’t attend on this occasion, then you may not be able to attend again for some time.

Sam

Hi Sam.
Thanks very much. I did tell them some time ago we would be needing access over a couple of days as it was a serious problem but they didn’t respond. But thank you very much I am sure you are probably right and will say as you suggested.
One other question if anyone knows the answer, do the council offer mould removal? (Obviously we would expect to pay but cannot find anyone in our area which is Liverpool). Thanks in advance.

The council do not do mould removal

Have you tried Dampwise Wirral 08006440544?

I would be inclined to get in touch with a commercial cleaning firm, they will have come across this kind of scenario before plenty of times. I know as my friend runs one and does a lot of end of tenancy stuff for landlords. I’d probably advise the tenants of the most likely causes of mould (ventilation), get a quote from a cleaning firm and get it cleaned. Then it’s a case of you either absorb the cost but make them aware if it happens again this will be deducted from the deposit, split it with them (if they are reasonable), or ask them to pay in full if very reasonable. You’d also be amazed what a product like Astonish Mould & Mildew can do! Good luck.

Hi James,
Thank you that’s a really good idea as I was only looking under mould removal. Just been up to the house and it’s a bit beyond self removal, but definitely will look at what cleaning firms can offer.

Hi Colin,
Thank you. I did see their name crop up now you mention it and just looked at website, and don’t think I did call them so will call tomorrow.
Just returned from the visiting the house and mould is everywhere, walls and ceiling. I don’t know whether they’ve been heating and ventilating it but because it’s one of those Victorian two up, two down affairs, with the extension for the kitchen and bathroom, obviously the bathroom is the furthest extremity and the coldest room so can see that over time it may just have got like that. So may not be anything they have done, so we will put the fan in, remove the mould (somehow!) and redecorate. Will also check if it has damp proofing in it. I know we put in new roof insulation but don’t know if the walls have been done.
Do you know if there are any building regulations for those types of extension please? And if it anyone from the planning dept would have checked?
I will also call Target tomorrow. Tried today but not got a Mike there and he said he maybe in Smithdown branch. Had envirovent visit £350 for fan and installation. Thanks for all your knowledge.

Hi Open Rent Staff,
I don’t know why my name is suddenly showing up as Clare? I’ve not changed anything. Thank you in advance.

I may have his name wrong!! I ve only been going there for 30 years! The walls are unlikely to have been insulated. If you are having to strip everything out. then use a25mm kingspan and replasterboard. As it happens I have a business that sells rigid insulation ,So know a little bit about it

Send the tenants some proprietary ’mould & mildew remover’ and tell them to keep the place warm.
The mould is growing on the wet and condensation affected areas.

1 Like

Thanks yet again. Lol. They have a few branches so I will phone them all tomorrow. The tiles themselves seem to be okay and the room is fully tiled around the bath, so didn’t really want to rip those off if we can help it. Would we just insulate the other walls or does it all need doing in your opinion ?
If you are allowed to say the name of your company on here I would be interested to know as need to sort out this problem properly.

Its the Target branch on Derby road

Thank you. Just attended the property and quite possibly they haven’t been ventilating etc. but think it’s become our problem if we don’t want it spreading.

Thank you will call tomorrow and get Mike!

Glad to be of help usually not as horrifying as it looks and a cleaning firm used to dealing with end of tenancy type cleans should be capable. Good luck.

I cant advertise on here but I do on Gumtree… Most bathrooms are tricky to insulate unless you do an entirely empty room. Same with kitchens.

Ok will look on gumtree. Our house is in Bootle. When we purchased off Riverside Housing it had been empty for three years. There wasn’t any bathroom suite or wall tiles but was as dry as a bone, odourless. One of the reasons we bought. In fact now I come to think of it, probably the only reason!

I bought off Riverside! bone dry house! Waterloo

It looked it at the time!
Just looking on gumtree

I am Carl on Gumtree