Buying BTL property with tenants

I will be completing on a BTL purchase in a week. I have have been provided the reference checks and the AST. The feedback for the tenants is good and I plan to let the tenancy run as it is. There is already AST tenancy in place. Obviously, the AST is in the name of the existing owner. Is there any documentation or any form that i will need to fill in once I become the owner of the property regarding the tenants and the AST? There are a 5 months remaining in the existing AST.

Make sure the deposit is transferred into your name and you register it to the appropriate scheme within 30 days of receipt
Then resend the terms and conditions, certificate and prescribed information ( with you as the landlord) to the tenants
You may want to write a new contract in your name
When the AST runs into a periodic is it a statutory or contractual? If statutory reserve all the documents to the tenant again at the end of the AST
Make sure they were sent gas, EPC and electric and how to rent guide in advance of their AST
If you rewrite you must send it all again
Check all utilities and council tax are registered in their names
Check there is a smoke alarm and CO alarm check at the beginning of their tenancy and Legionella checks are done regularly

The NRLA have a check list. Just check it was all complied with.

1 Like

You need to serve a s48 and s3 notice for change of landlord.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies.

I have a mydeposits account so moving deposit and eicr etc are not an issue.

Does this notice need to be served by myself when I become the owner or does it need to be served by the existing owner on completion? If its me serving this notice, then do both notices need to be served? Any available templates will be of great help. I haven’t yet done NRLA.

Thanks everyone in advance.

Thanks for the replies.

I have a mydeposits account so moving deposit and eicr etc are not an issue.

Does this notice need to be served by myself when I become the owner or does it need to be served by the existing owner on completion? If its me serving this notice, then do both notices need to be served? Any available templates will be of great help. I haven’t yet done NRLA.

Thanks everyone in advance.

Do NRLA now. They have a combined s3/s48 template

2 Likes