Candles indoors

So I’ve lost a tenant and discovered that they saved electric but using candles. The agent missed out they had removed smoke and heat detectors, on 5 inspections… they got it wrong on inventory too, so the house is grey inside not white . Re dec has cost£ 3500 £500 of that is deep clean , it was total immaculate at let 3rd party deep post dec clean …it’s a bad feeling and yet I had return part of deposit . It’s enough to put i off renting …. But if the tenants remove fixed linked mains alarms and there is a fire who is at fault, assuming the inventory says there were detectors, which oddly it didn’t

Did your contract ban the use of candles? Either way I think you have a claim against the tenant. I would also change the agent.

1 Like

No I didn’t think to ask abit candles but this time i have I also said that removal of my fittings like a smoke alarm or heat or co2 detector is considered breaking tenancy conditions and is grounds to evict . I require with 48 hr notice a 4. Monthly inspection visit and failure to allow entry will lead to eviction process. Agent is useless which is why I’m now hear abd saving my money

You need to make sure that your insurance policy covers malicious damage by tenants. Some don’t.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.