Carpets, when to replace?

If I offer it to my tenants before the proposed improvements, they’ll want a heafty discount.

Either way, changing 3 year old carpets that are in good condition will not add value to the property. Your tenants can’t expect a “hefty discount” because the property value is set by the market and not by these particular tenants. You said it yourself: it is a sellers’ market in your area. Once you put your property for sale, as it currently is, you can simply accept the highest offer. You don’t owe these tenants anything, and unless there is anything in writing from the tenants to say they will buy the house once you jump through all their hoops, this could still be total BS on their part. It’s nice that you care but I still don’t understand the rationale for changing the carpets merely due to the tenants’ colour preference, and I can see quite a few others have questioned this too. If the tenants are being difficult about this, then I would rather not continue having them as my tenants, and would simply tell them that they are welcome to give their notice to terminate the tenancy if they are THAT averse to the carpet colour.

3 Likes

They seem to want quite a lot.
You set the price if they don’t want to pay it sell it to someone who does. It’s a seller’s market at the moment. But good luck with it all.

1 Like

If a tenant wants to redecorate, few do actually, we never allow them commission the work or do it themselves, instead, we agree with them a specification that we are both happy with and then we commission it to ensure standards are achieved, we might even agree the prepayment of resitution costs to neutral colour scheme.

1 Like

Why are you even contemplating letting the tenants “redecorate” your property??? And there is absolutely no way on earth I would replace carpets which were new 3 years ago when they moved in, what the hell have they been doing to the carpets, they should last at least 10 years IF anyone cares for them. It sounds to me like you are being taken for a ride.

3 Likes

As a tenant if I moved to a property with brand new carpets i would not even consider asking my landlord to change them to suit my colour scheme! If I wanted to get a new carpet to match my new decoration (per an agreement with my landlord to do so obviously) then I would ask the landlord if he would allow me to replace the carpet and also agree to store the original carpet so it can be refitted to the same standard they were at the start of the tenancy.
As a general advisor I would certainly not replace carpets that have not been treated with care such as bringing bikes in! As for there comments regarding shoes make more then I’d have responded by telling them that most people would remove their shoes at the door which shoes respect as well pride within the home!! So for that reason alone I’d definitely refuse. You also mentioned them wanting to purchase the home? Well tell them that once they have purchased the property they can decorate and replace things to their hearts content but as long as you are the landlord you are not prepared to fork out money on items of a cosmetic value. It’s an investment at the end of the day and I feel these tenants are treating you like a mug keeping you on the hook by saying they want to buy it and if you are wanting to sell put it up for sale if they’ve been there 3 years and not applied to buy it doubt it’s going to happen and if you think about it anyone else was coming to buy as it was before all the work then this could go in favour for them but if the home is done up from too to bottom by the time they’ve got everything they want from you then surely this would increase the price, this is why I believe they are stringing you along.

4 Likes

Re:increasing the rent - if you offer to replace the carpets for a £200/month increase then the tenants can agree. Just get it in writing and it’s lawful.

I want to echo what everyone else is saying. The tenants are taking you for a ride.

How are you going to feel if you replace this carpet and no offer to buy comes? What if they have very eclectic tastes and want a carpet that makes it harder to sell the home - so it needs to be re-replaced again?

Do you know if they even qualify to buy a home? I might say that I want to buy a house - that doesn’t mean I’ll qualify for a mortgage.

It’s not unheard of for part of the home buying process to include negotiations with requests like asking if the seller will leave certain furniture, or after having an inspection done asking certain repairs be done first, which can impact the final sales price. (ex. If the seller agrees to leave furnishings, the buyer can offer more; if the seller won’t make certain repairs, the buyer offer less) So they could have offered to start the process and stipulated that they want the carpets replaced as part of it.

Do not treat them as serious buyers until they’ve put an offer down.

If the carpets are looking shabby due to their bicycles - I would argue that’s not reasonable use and they should have put down a carpet protector and replacing those areas could rightly come out of the deposit at the end of the tenancy. However, if this tenancy ends you may want to replace those sections with laminate/vinyl/tile as high traffic areas rarely do well with carpet. I have seen and lived in homes where the front doorway has a roughly 1 meter square of tile/whatever then turns into carpet. Done right it’s quite tasteful and very functional.

5 Likes

Your tenants are quite frankly taking you for a mug.
They are paying well under the going rental amount and they know it.

In what world are wheeling bikes across the living room carpets and storing bikes in the property acceptable? and now they are asking you to replace the carpets because they don’t like the colour.
It seems to me they are calling all the shots here from accepting a rent increase providing you let them decorate and that you pay to replace a three year old carpets.
Wake up your running a business not a charity.
Take control of your business increase the rent to the going rate and stop
letting tenants dictate their terms.
There are more tenants than properties available if they don’t want to pay the going rent and your terms they are free to leave.

4 Likes