Concern with holding deposit

The landord has been on OpenRent for the past 3 years and 9 months, He has rented out 100s of rooms within this time.

I saw a flat I liked and put a holding deposit down. He contacted me (within 30minutes) and said I had paid the holding deposit via Openrent but they don’t know how to receive the funds and said that he can return the holding deposit and I pay via bank transfer. When I asked a question about moving in date, he turned to another a person to enquire (so he isn’t a single landlord?). Within 10minutes of ending the call the holding deposit was returned and I got emails via OpenRent to confirm this. I haven’t done a bank transfer yet as he wants me to see the property before I put a holding deposit. The latter seems above board, but the bank transfer payment and his inability to accept a holding deposit via OpenRent has me questioning whether I should go ahead.

Surely with the length of time he has been on OpenRent he would know how to accept the holding deposit?

I am getting red flags but he has been on OpenRent for years. No feedback on him is available, which is neither good nor bad necessarily.

Please can you advice, much appreciated.

So, no, there’s nothing wrong with it. There are drawbacks with openrent that he might not like.

The fact that he does want you to see the property before putting down a holding deposit is an indicator that things are ok

1 Like

It’s best not to put a holding deposit down until you’ve had a conversation with the landlord and a viewing

1 Like