Condensation in bedrooms

Hello

I moved into a property in summer and the tenant above my ground floor flat had a burst pipe so landlord had to sort this. It was tested for damp and all was ok so we moved in.

Both the bedroom windows have a lot of condensation, which I wipe away daily, and bits of mould were found near the window frames. We have treated this however also leave the bedroom windows open daily to ventilate , never dry wet clothes indoors, our dryer is a built in washer dryer, we always use the fan in the kitchen when cooking and open windows , and lastly always turn the fan on in the bathroom when showering/bathing etc .

We have dehumidifiers switched on in both bedrooms which seem to be collecting a fair amount of water .

Any ideas as to what else I can do , or if I need to be asking landlord to check out anything else?

Thanks

You are doing all the right things . How well is the place insulated. What is the EPC?

Thanks Colin . I’m not too sure however I do recall seeing this information on the tenancy agreement so I can dig this out .
I just can’t get my head around how quickly the condensation comes back even with the windows being opened day and night.

Some places do get a lot of condensation, although they may be reasonably well insulated. In one place I lived, I used a Karcher on the windows each morning and get rid of the moisture. That worked well and we never had any mold.

1 Like

A house needs to breathe , needs air flow., insulation, not too many surfaces like tiles as they just get condensation on them… I have a number of well insulated places and have no probs with condensation

Karcher window vac are very useful throughout the winter.
The house may be well insulated and double glazed but the window glass will probably always be the coldest surface and so that’s where the condensation forms.A wet ,damp and cold climate in Autumn and winter will always cause issues. That said, it seems more of a problem now than years ago when my childhood home was a cold draughty house with no central heating and only one open fire in use. Maybe I didn’t notice,but I can remember ice on the inside of the bedroom window so thinking about it that must have been frozen condensation!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.