Council giving advice to tenant to stay in the house

You cannot trust L A ( have I said that before?)

3 Likes

If they are a friend of the family, why are they causing you problems?

1 Like

Too right Collin, I donā€™t trust them either. I experienced the exact same treatment from Barnsley Council after serving my tenants with S21 following their total neglect if my property. When I contacted the tenant to enquire why they hadnā€™t vacated my property they responded ā€œweā€™re doing as the council have instructed usā€ when I asked what instruction the council had provided it was revealed that they were told to stay in the property until the Baliffe arrived. On hearing this I had to pay more cost and apply for more court papers but I demanded a meeting with the Council and was granted the meeting with two staff from Housing who lied by denying that the tenants had been instructed to remain in the property. I presented the department with the before and after pictures illustrating the condition of the property and received a promise they would investigate the allegation advising the tenants to remain. They also promised they would instruct their housing staff not to extend the period of notice of a section 21. Needless to say they didnā€™t offer to reimburse the cost incurred to obtaining a warant of execution and Eviction costs.
I believe the reason behind this attitude and course of action is simply because they donā€™t have sufficient housing stock and as weā€™re all aware many tenants have applied fir cheaper council housing and weā€™re told applicant faced a several years waiting list. It could well be that tenants believe they can jump the waiting list by engineering the Landlord to make them homeless by

2 Likes

Yes I am having pretty much the same trouble

Take your issue to the LA ombudsman. An LA has been successfully penalised for this behaviour.

1 Like