Disclosure of Landlord ID to applicants who want to rent

That’s not the solution. Once when many years ago
when rented a place through the estate agent and at the end of tenancy tenants completely ruined bathroom, damp
on wall etc. Tenants did not get their deposit and they
started arguing with in a supermarket. I reported to the estate agent to sort out with those tenants and the reply from the estate agent to me was that to go out with my husband.
I told estate agent that he should sort out with that tenant and don’t expect me take me husband every where I would go.

But I would like to say that if I was not strong at that
time then I would not able to deal any bad tenants now or other issues after death of my husband.

So I would like to say to all those wives that if you ever feel threatened by anyone or any tenants keep your husband in your heart and head and his strength and get on with the work.
Also please not to forget our strengths and our names
are our identity.

2 Likes

Whilst I appreciate your sentiment the reality is to the contrary.
I thought like that until a room in an HMO was sublet by a student. I went to do a viewing for a male and female student ( the male student was a 6 foot plus gym enthusiast) and stumbled upon a sublessee. The situation rapidly escalated. He became abusive ( the prospective tenants fled the property). I realised the situation was out of hand and I was now alone. I also left the property to call the police. When I looked back he was chasing me and I took shelter with a neighbour until the police arrived. The male student doing the viewing later rang to apologise for leaving me alone in a potentially violent situation but the reality was he ran away faster than anyone. Fright took over.
People are wary of institutional DSS. That day I realised that taking students from that background has the same issues. I always ask the occupation of the parents.
Having been subject to verbal abuse, physical violence and sexual harassment I would never go alone to a property if I have a problematic tenant. In that particular instance I called the police to attend until their tenancy ended and to do an abandonment assessment ( as advised by my solicitor).
Stoicism has it’s place but pragmatism is safer. I would rather be safe than have a fractured face or worse…!!!

4 Likes

I have always advertised, done viewings and taken it to agreement-signing stage as ‘John’. Then I give full disclosure. Never had any problems.

It is not a case of hiding or not being open. Just simple straight dumb safeguarding…

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing your experience and sorry to hear
what you have been through.

Yes it’s better to be safe and have someone with us
when we know problematic tenant.

In certain cases especially when I know the tenant is
trouble I do try to take someone as witness and also do make sure front door is open.

Even friend of mine have a troubled tenant from the
day one and he does not want to go near the tenant and
authorised me to manage property because the
Estate agent who introduced tenant is very bad too.
Also waiting for the tenant to evict. Also I am dealing with one of my tenant too.

I know when there are psycho tenants and they will never understand. They are two different people be the tenancy start
and once they got the tenancy and just think because the tenants got more rights then landlords they can do anything.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that if you receive any money as “John” but your actual name is “Steve” it’s fraud.

1 Like

There’s no law to stop anyone calling themselves anything they want. I know a few people who have different names to their ‘official’ one.

As long as it’s the official one on any paperwork etc. there is not an issue.

1 Like

My bad I should have said:
I advertise as ‘John’. Then I give full disclosure, full name, adress, etc., at contract stage. Never had any problems.

What’s the point to try and hide your ID when a simple land registry check will reveal it?

2 Likes

We are always Bob and Belinda (our real names) plus our surname. They don’t know our address until contract stage. (Although I suppose they could look it up if they so chose). We do the viewings together and all correspondence comes from the email registered with Openrent.

I like the idea about a different mobile phone. I have an old one I can use.

1 Like

When I advertised as a landlord I was surprised how many people didn’t give their actual name as a potential tenant, which put me off arranging a viewing, it doesn’t seem a lot to ask that a person would give their name rather than an initial or an alias and without trust at such an early stage there was no point in wasting any further time with the person.

3 Likes

I would never wish to deceive anyone regarding my identity.
However , as I see it Openrent is the equivalent of a high street estate agency.

When a tenant enquires regarding the property the Agency do not disclose the Landlords name and other details. They are acting as the Landlords agent.
Only once the interest progresses further does the potential tenant get to learn the Landlords details.

Using Openrent I correspond anonymously through the system with all applicants, up until the time I shortlist them for viewing.

At that point I am happy to give them my full details prior to meeting at the property.

2 Likes

That’s ’ Playing with Fire ’ Barrow v Kazim 2018, Landlord lost Possession claim on name of landlord not being correct.