Do you increase rental fees or not?

Hi all
Im relatively new to the landlord world and would really appreciate any thoughts.

My tenants leases comes to an end in October and they have asked me already if i can consider them signing up to a new contract already for October. However, they have asked if i will put a dishwasher in for them at my expense.

Two questions…do/would you usually look to increase the monthlt rental costs at the start of a new tenancy? If so, what do you base the increase on? Or do you honour loyalty and keep the same?
Secondly, how would you handle the dishwasher query, as this is quite an expense on me to do, but hopefully keeps them for another contract period…or do i increase next contract fees to off set?

Appreciate any thoughts on this! :blush:
Many thanks
Marc

You can increase the rent outside a fixed term. You have to serve the correct S. 13 notice and in the right way.

I would not increase the rent more than once every 12 months - sometimes not even then and would keep any increase to below inflation. Do the dishwasher - we are in the service business of keeping our tenants happy and bank it as goodwill. Raise the rent at the appropriate time - don’t link. A happy tenant is one who thinks they are getting value.

There is a bigger issue here. As rental property becomes scarcer due to reduced supply which in turn is due to higher costs, rents rise. (Supply and demand). As rents rise government whacks the PRS more. It is in everyone’s interest that we all behave reasonably and from the sound of it that is what you plan to do.

I wouldnt bother with a new contract as a periodic tenancy is generally better for everyone. I would install a dishwasher and I would increase the rent with a s13 notice.

1 Like

Dont renew contract let it run to periodic

dont put the rent up more than once a year

tell him to rent a dishwasher and be there when its operated the first time as thats when you are most likely to get a leak

say something like ’ i dont do white goods but for goodwill i wont put the rent up on a new contract so consider that a contribution’

if you supply it you have to fix it and you may have to stay round there waiting for a service call , i sometimes supply a fridge and cooker but never a washing machine or dishwasher as they go wrong more often

2 Likes

Out of interest is there is a spare space for the dishwasher or would you have to move out a kitchen cupboard to install it?

We did not put the rent up for three years out of loyalty for what we thought were good tenants. However, they ended up being not so good.

When we did try and raise the rent slightly to nearer market value they really did not like it.

Think it is a good idea to implement an increase if it’s fair. i.e. local rents have risen or if you are providing extra on their request such as the dishwasher.

Even if you only increase slightly it may stop the expectation from developing that there is never going to be any increase or changes.

I know everyone is not like this, just my experience with the tenants we had.

1 Like

They could get a table top dishwasher.

I would consider making space and putting in the plumbing for a dishwasher if there was room in the kitchen, but I would leave it to them to supply their own dishwasher.

I’d also keep the kitchen unit door, assuming you have to take one out, in case future tenants don’t want a dishwasher space - cheap enough to get a new unit carcass, but hard to source a matching door…

2 Likes

Probably all been said above but, don’t supply a dishwasher, tell them you have no objection to them installing one at thier cost and maintenance. they can be a pain in the backside.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.