DSS Income Accepted

Chris35 Re the " glowing reference" I saw one about 20 years ago from the unemployment people about an individual, written by a council lady to help him find work, I knew the guy and he was a lazy, fiddling, lying, alcholic, womanising , dirty sod. . You would not want him near your house or daughter. … The reference from the council was the opposite, i still keep it to remind me that they will do anything to get someone off their hands.

5 Likes

The problem is a lot of people on dss have played the system but now landlords are getting wise to how to combat rougue tenants and the bad tenants are left without a house and so groups like shelter are crying foul at every turn deriding landlords trying to protect their houses

3 Likes

I absolutely agree Colin. They are a bunch of self serving bureaucrats.

Welcome aboard Michael.

They are in panic mode, as they know full well they cannot force the issue, and have no alternative to the PRS, since they sold off most of the social housing stock.

Hopefully they will eventually come to realise they need a different approach. We can but dream…

3 Likes

Sorry about changing the theme slightly but the government are like the mafia they will change rules of the game just like they did with second home tax after this covid do not be surprised if you see draconian laws introduced against the private residential sector just like now you cannot evict until March well that will be extended they expect the landlords to take the hit

3 Likes

The problem is that housing is a basic physical need like food and water.

We shouldn’t be relying so heavily on individuals to provide that need for such a large portion of the population.

The standard should be more regulated- more similar to hospitals and grocery stores.

Sure, you can still go and find an independent practitioner or local farmers and buy straight from them. But you aren’t required to do that just to be able to eat and the supply chain puts a lot of protection in for the providers as well.

As long as so much of housing is provided by individuals who don’t have the resources to comfortably manage a truly terrible tenant- then both landlords and people are put in a really bad situation.

1 Like

Private rentals are already regulated with gas safety, electrical safety, energy efficiency and loads of other regs.

Most landlords would agree more social housing should be built which would provide a safety net for those in a bad position. Currently the private rented sector is expected to fill a need which it isn’t designed for. Social housing and private renting are both needed, they’re not mutually exclusive.

Yes, a landlord should be able to manage the risks but any landlord, large or small will take reasonable steps to avoid the truly terrible tenants.

2 Likes

I come from a country without social housing, so that’s my frame of reference. Social housing should be more regularly available. For people who are renting out of a base need for shelter (as opposed to people with more financial stability)- that should fall on the government not individuals.

Regulation doesn’t just mean restricting freedom- it also means ensuring landlords are protected. Right now they really are not and it can only take one particularly bad tenant to destroy a person’s retirement plans.

That’s terrible and shouldn’t be the case.

3 Likes

If I have a dwelling managed (Not fully serve) by agency, this sort of people rented. I then found out that they lied [story: certainly no kids during weekdays, to our neighbourhood Watch time…] I’d express unhappiness and let them renew the agreement for once. No more

Of course everyone has a right to choose who to have in the rented home BUT how do u make that choice without meeting the person?
People like me who have a chronic illness with no cure dont have a choice to work and to be constantly treated like scum because I am on DSS is outrageous!
How does one judge a person simply by the fact that they claim benefits?
I am searching for a new place right now and already I have been rejected twice for this reason.
I have a child and am OCD with cleaning plus I pay my rent guaranteed every month but yet I am looked down on. I know people renting who work full time and behind on rent and I also know landlords who have issues with tenants who are in full time employment. Yet here is me on
DSS and my landlord couldn’t be happier.
Fine if some landlords are contracted to not allow benefits but for those who just simply judge people is wrong!

4 Likes

We cannot possibly meet everyone when I get 35 applicants for one place. That is why we ask questions to whittle it down

2 Likes

wE also reject people in work. I had an applicant who earned 43K but had a CCj of 4k . Never paid it off. ! Rejected !

5 Likes

I fully understand that. No one would a tenant who is in debt. I myself may be on DSS but I have never in my life owed anything.
Gona be cheeky and ask you anyway…
Do u by any chance have a 2 bed house in Southgate, oakwood area? Long term

£1500 max pcm can pay guaranteed. No ccj’s.
Rent and deposit and guarantors already in place.

Hi Effie I rent out on Merseyside. You sound ok to me I hope a landlord here can accomodate you Regards Colin

Thank you stay safe :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Colin just a question. Tenants used to pay for their own referencing which worked quite well in weeding out the chancers. My understanding now is we cannot ask them to do that anymore. I have paid for as many as 3 before I got a pass. I have been using Openrent for that which is £20 a time but I will find a cheaper one next time I think. Do I still assume I cannot ask them to pay for it.

Yes
I do it for free by asking for 6 months bank statements ( you can see how they really live and if they pay rent or have gambling problems etc). It costs either party nothing.
It separates wheat from the chaff
Asking for a landlord reference yourself also avoids costs

1 Like

Sad to think you are being looked down on. I dont think you are its just the risk that is the problem. I keep saying this but you can blame Shelter who will not provide rentals themselves and the government who prefer to let landlords take the strain that belongs to them by making it either impossible or expensive to remove bad tenants. Until both these deluded organisations change their attitude leaving landlords out on a limb we will try hard to avoid all risk. If you pass referencing I have no problem with dss or disabled as long as the disability does not backfire on me by being forced to make changes to adapt the property which can be expensive.

3 Likes

tenants do not pay for it

Hi Effie
No I would like to say sometimes even some tenants don’t understand even when you say that the property is not suitable for child and given the reason as all photos and descriptions are added on advertised.

I do allow people on dss as they have been furloughed or lost a job.

But I have so many enquires from a single parent with a little child because I said that on my advert dss allowed. Then when I reply the flat is not child friendly and keep asking for viewing, video viewing etc then I have no choice but to reject the applicant.

Also most the time London housing allowances does not cover the full rent in certain areas of London.

So I hope you do understand. But wish you all the best as there are so many properties available for rent then it would be good idea for you to look slightly in different areas.

1 Like