Early termination fees if break clause used?

Hi all,

My tenants are terminating their 12 month fixed term contract early (due to their work relocation) by using the break clause at month 6 and giving 2 months’ notice as per AST wording, i.e. they are leaving 8 months into their 12 month fixed term. While not ideal, it is what it is and I have fortunately found new tenants. Am I correct in thinking that since the current tenants used the break clause to terminate early, I will NOT be able to claim from their deposit any costs associated with the early termination e.g. £69 Openrent advertising fee? I don’t think I can claim but wanted to check this with others.

Thanks!

Here’s what you can charge fees for:

From 1 June 2019, the only payments that landlords or letting agents can charge to tenants in relation to new contracts are:

• rent
  • a refundable tenancy deposit capped at no more than 5 weeks’ rent where the total annual rent is less than £50,000, or 6 weeks’ rent where the total annual rent is £50,000 or above
  • a refundable holding deposit (to reserve a property) capped at no more than 1 week’s rent
  • payments associated with early termination of the tenancy, when requested by the tenant
  • payments capped at £50 (or reasonably incurred costs, if higher) for the variation, assignment or novation of a tenancy
  • payments in respect of utilities, communication services, TV licence and Council Tax
  • a default fee for late payment of rent and replacement of a lost key/security device giving access to the housing, where required under a tenancy agreement

Going by that, you are right. You will not be able to deduct this. They have the right to leave the property at that time because there is a break clause specifically to allow them to do this.

1 Like

There are no applicable fees since you chose to have a break clause in your tenancy agreement and there is no breach of the contract.

2 Likes