Getting my deposit back?

Hi everyone,

I’m looking for some advice.

My contract ended on the 15th but I have moved out on the 11th. We’ve done a complete check out, inventory etc with my landlord that day and agreed that the kitchen will have to be professionally cleaned and that I’m happy to pay for it.

They have now contacted me today, saying that the carpets (despite me arranging for professional carpet cleaning twice before moving out) smell of dog urine.

I have a small dog and according to my contract, had arranged for a professional cleaner before vacating the property.

I’ve been told that they will need have to arrange for a cleaner themselves in hope to get rid of the smell and if that’s not helping, then all the carpets will have to be replaced in the flat and I’ll have to pay for it (deducted from my deposit).

Is this all fair? I’m a little anxious as getting an entire flat re carpeted will cost a fortune and I also don’t understand why everything will have to be potentially replaced, when my dog, for instance, wasn’t even allowed to stay in the bedroom alone?

Of course I no longer have access to the property so cannot double-check anything. What if they just fancy a new carpet? :frowning:

Please advise.

Thank you,

Z

As a landlord who allows pets, I have to say that pet owners often don’t smell their pets, so it can genuinely be the case that the property smells ‘doggy’ when the tenant has taken all precautions including cleaning. If you feel the landlord is being unfair you can contest it with the deposit protection scheme in question. Make sure you keep your receipts to prove you had the property cleaned. The landlord will have to show that he has only incurred necessary costs and hasn’t chosen to replace carpets at your expense.

2 Likes

I have to confess that I allowed my last tenant to get the carpets cleaned, rather than me doing so, and also to employ her own cleaner rather than my cleaning service.
The results were dreadful, but because the new tenant was moving in so quickly I had to do a rushed clean up myself and leave the carpets. I will never do that again! The person who cleaned the carpets was uncontactable once they had the tenant’s money!
So, a lot depends on the efficiency and thoroughness of the carpet cleaners you used.
Are you able to ask the landlord to allow you back to see/smell the problem for yourself? That seems fair to me.

Hi
its difficult for pet owners check about smell as sense of smelling usually is not same for people who donot own the pet and sometimes its very difficult to get rid smell of urine from the carpet.
As I have seen people who are allergic to dog/cats and they could say it and feel it to and sometimes even its end of tenancy carpet cleaning.
But i would suggest that ask the the landlord how old was the carpet etc and try to work out the cost of professional cleaning and disinfest or replacement etc yourself and landlord As this way its seems fair to both parties.
Please note it takes time as well for doing all this.
all the best

As a landlord can we scrutinise and say that I don’t want tenants who have pets. Or no smoking?

Its your place and your rules

Yes definitely just like Colin says it’s your place and your rules.

It’s better it get it clear in tenancy agreement and condition in an inventory and get it signed.

1 Like

If a pet has peed on the carpets, it would have seeped through the carpets, the underlay and onto the floor. The only way to get rid of the smell is to rip up the carpet and lay new.

If your contract stated that you were to have the carpets professionally cleaned and you have done so and have a reciept or invoice for doing so then the DPS will take that into consideration and are unlikely to make deductions if you have evidence that says they were done when you left . We have pets in this current rental property, contract states we have to have the carpets cleaned upon vacating or deductions will be taken for the cost of doing so and that’s fine.