How to Calculate Pro Rata Rent

Originally published at: https://blog.openrent.co.uk/how-to-calculate-pro-rata-rent/

At the beginning and end of tenancies, landlords and tenants often need to calculate pro rata rent. Luckily, it’s really simple and we’ll show you exactly how to do it. Definition of Pro Rata ‘Pro rata’ means divided in proportion.For example, if a tenant moves out of a property halfway through the monthly rental period,…

Hi Sam

Your information posts are always helpful, but I just wanted to let forum members know that the Tenant Fees Act 2019 specifically defines how one weeks rent must be calculated, which is:

monthly rent x 12 / 52

I haven’t used your calculator so I don’t know if this is how it works, but I thought I’d just spell this out for anyone who reads the article and thinks they should just multiply the daily rate from your calculation above by 7. This may or may not come to the same figure, but if there is a discrepancy, then they may inadvertently breach the Tenant Fees Act and invalidate any s21 they may later serve.

1 Like

Hi Sam,
I’m lucky enough to have a flat to let, as well as my own (former soldier). It’s a standard two-bed leasehold. The latest tenants were landlords, moving to the area to buy a house. So it was just the six month AST, then periodic for two months. The monthly renewal date was 25th. They gave notice planning to move at the end of the month. This then slipped to 4th and then evening of 5th the following month. I collected the keys on 6th. Thankfully the rent was paid in advance as normal on 25th. They are now demanding pro rata rental return.
There was no Section 21, no eviction process.
It was a standard AST, monthly rental with no mention of breakdown or daily pro rata. There was no discussion about free rental period following 25th.
As far as I am aware, surely it is at my discretion how much of that rent to refund? I will make a payment as the new tenants have now moved in (following the work, cleaning and painting required – DPS claim outstanding!)
Is there any law regarding repayment of rent, when tenant has moved out voluntarily in a periodic tenancy, before the end of the term?
Lesson learnt: don’t rent to landlords moving to the area, with no respect for your property.
Hopeful thanks,
Matt

If the rental period is monthly I am not sure you do owe them money as they have used the month.
I would speak to the NRLA and just confirm
Failing that call a solicitor for 20 minutes free advice

Seems like you do not owe them anything, unless you agreed to refund them.

Sounds like you have been very accommodating of their changing requests.