If there is a new owner of my rental property but I am still the landlady until the tenants have to leave ....who is responsible for court costs to get them out if they dont leave by the due date?

Sorry for the long title …

How can you be there landlady if the property has been sold? The responsibility lies with the new owner. The new owner should have served a section 3 and 48 notice and changed all the paperwork.

1 Like

It depends what kind of arrangement you made with the new owner. Normally a new owner or their solicitor would serve a s48/s3 notice of change of landlord, but it is possible for you still to remain in this role. What was the agreement?

1 Like

The rented house is in Wales…the legislation demands that a landlord is registered and has passed various tests. The new owners are not registered landlords.
No mention has been made of the rent no longer being mine after the sale.The new owners will live in a static on their field here until the 6 month notice period is up…Nov 26th…so 3 months.
Their solicitor only raised a query over court costs if they don’t leave by then. I am happy to have a clause in the sale contract that says I am responsible if that happens.

I’m afraid I am not au fait with Welsh legislation. Can you ask the NRLA?

So it’s a condition of sale that you remain the landlord? If I were you, I would be very careful what promises you make, particularly financial ones. I suggest you make all costs and liabilities payable by whoever receives the rent. You should be aware that the notice that has been served doesn’t end the tenancy. If the tenant declines to leave it could take up to a further 12 months to remove them through the courts and bailiffs with current backlogs. Are the new buyers really up for that?