Inheritance Income

Hello,
I have got a prospective tenant, who I don’t think it will make enough money to be able to afford my property. She has got quite a big inheritance though. Could that be seen as income?
Thank you

This is only relevant if you require something like rent guarantee insurance.

You yourself can decide if it’s enough otherwise.

Personally this wouldn’t change my mind, regular stable income wins.

Inheritance? If it’s cash in the bank it’s pretty much irrelevant how it got there from your point of view. Went would it matter that it’s from an inheritance?

1 Like

At least LL would know its not the proceeds of anything dodgy.

How would they prove it? I’ve got money in my savings from an inheritance but proving that it came from an inheritance would involve divulging paperwork that not only breaches other people’s confidentiality but is less than straightforward to interpret. I suppose you could pay a lawyer to vouch for it, but at the end of the day, cash is cash.

And any income could be 'dodgy ’ depending on your approach to the law and morality or the applicant’s ability to cover their tracks.

Third party identities could be blanked out.

Some lump sums are definitely more dodgy than others.

Personally any lump some doesn’t replace the need to be able to afford property by way of a regular stable income, employment preferred.

(None working millionaires possibly excluded) :slightly_smiling_face:

I think op was just stating the situation, we don’t really know if they hold the fact it’s an inheritance as being significant.

if she has received it & can show you it in an account in her name & she confirms that is how she intends to pay then I would accept it.

If she says she will be receiving an inheritance - that’s a no!

I’m with Mark10 on this issue. Documented regular income trumps cash in the bank. That money can disappear just as quickly as it appears. Not gonna go into details but I have seen this done.