Is my plastic consumer unit forbidden from 01/07/2020

Please can anyone advise me of my plastic consumer unit now forbidden since the 01/07/2020
New landlord since this month
Thank you
Anne Marie

Hi, you must have a periodic test done for any new tenancies after 1st June and for existing ones after April next year. Plastic consumer units do not comply with the latest regs however provided it is in good condition it is my understanding it should be an advisory rather than a fail. We had some that were 20 years old and just replaced them anyway as there was no rcd protection either. Not sure that is essential either but potentially a life saver.

2 Likes

Thank you for the information u have provided
Text done awaiting result feedback.
Should know by Wednesday box is good condition
Thanks again
Anne maire

You should get an electrician to sign it off

Hi, can anyone please clarify the rules on Landlords EICR tests and PAT testing? I have a ‘new build’ rental property (1 Bed flat, 3 yrs old) which has an Electrical Installation Certificate - this says the installation should be reinspected after 10 years. Is the EICR a separate requirement for Landlords going forward despite this?
Businesses seem to need an EICR every 5 years, but Landlords must provide one whenever the tenancy changes - is that right even if tenants change every year?
Also on PAT testing, do fitted white goods (fridge freezer. dishwasher, washing machine) require a PAT test? Presumably not as they are not portable and their plugs are not accessible? How often must PAT tests be carried out legally?
Just wanting to ensure I comply with any new regulations!
Many thanks for your help.
Simon

the test is for5 years not at every tenant

ps The test is on the property not the tenant or occupier. Nothing wrong with a plastic consumer unit with circuit breakers, unless you have a greedy electrician

Thank you
Anne maire