When is the EICR required - new tenancy?

Property was completely rewired last year and the EICR is valid for 10 years from January 2020.

Tenancy came to and end in January 2021.
One of the tenants in the single AST is moving out and another one is moving in.
So, a new tenancy is created.

Do we need to do EICR as well when a new tenancy is created (2 of the tenants in the new tenancy is same people who lived in the property last year and only one person is new).

Is it mandatory that each time a new tenancy agreement is signed, EICR also need to be done?
Thanks

It needs to be done every five years even if you have an EIC valid for 10 years according to the government website.

If there is a complete change of tenants it doesn’t have to be done again as long as it is still within the validity period.

Thanks @Mr_T
I checked the EICR document provided by the electrician last year.
It was done in January 2020.

In the “Next Inspection” section it says “I recommend that this installation is further inspected and tested after an interval of not more than 10 year or change of tenancy”.

The new law is introduced in June, 2020, my test was done before that.
I don’t know whether there was a law before June, 2020 which says EICR should be done on every tenancy change.

Hope I don’t have to do the EICR when I change the tenancy this year.
I need to do only before the end on the 5th year.
Thanks

The electrician inspecting has discretion to require tests to be more frequent than every 5 years. You will need a new EICR report and I would suggest you use a different Electrician and that you ask them in advance what their policy is on the interval between tests.

1 Like

The property was fully rewired (100%) by the same electrician who did the EICR.
I contacted NICEIC to find out the regulation about it.
They said it is 5years.
So, whatever the electrician has mentioned in incorrect.
It is not 10 year or change of tenancy.
Thanks

NICEIC has documents on its website which seem to advise their members that specifying the interval as every change of tenancy is an alternative to every 5 years. I have seen reports that NICEIC registered Electricians use these documents to justify this term in their reports. NAPIT on the other hand seem to take a different view and consequently I have only use NAPIT registered electricians in my properties.

1 Like

If the EICR is currently valid, you don’t need a new test, just because of a New Tenancy.

You do if your electrician has specified ‘every new tenancy’ as the interval on the report

The electrician did a full rewiring last year. The EICR was produced by him after the full rewiring. He is an NIC registered person.

After one year the tenancy is changing now.

What is the point in doing EICR for a one year old wiring.
I contacted NIC and they said it is 5 years.

The electrician says “10years or tenancy change” in the certificate. He is wrong in saying 10 years.

I had a chat with an electrician.
What I am told is if it is a completely new wiring, what electrician gives is EIC and a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate.

My property had a complete re-wiring last year and the provided me with both of them.

The electrician suggested give both EIC (even though it says 10 years or tenancy change) and Building Regulations Compliance Certificate to the tenants.

This is what I found on the Gov website -

What about new build properties or new installations?

If a property is newly built or has been completely rewired, it should have an Electrical Installation Certificate known as an EIC.

Landlords can provide a copy of the EIC to tenants and, if requested, the local housing authority. The landlord will then not be required to carry out further checks or provide a report for 5 years after the EIC has been issued, as long as they have complied with their duty or duties under the Regulations.

The Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020 Part 2, 2(b) says:

“where the most recent report under sub-paragraph (3)(a) requires such inspection and testing to be at intervals of less than 5 years, at the intervals specified in that report.”